A snow beer miracle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambeer

Reaction score
Okay not really a miracle. But at the time it was pretty cool. Here's the deal:

My latest batch, my fourth attempt at the "perfect" witbier, turned out funny.

You could call it "Snow Wit" witbier because it lived during fermentation through over 24 hours of no heat from power loss as a result of a snow storm (Nemo). The house was at 39F at one point before the power was restored.

For whatever reason, the wort and beer was always very cloudy for a month. Finally, I just bottled it when I saw it would never stop being cloudy. I skipped cold crashing thinking it negatively.

Weeks went by as the beer conditioned in the bottle. One day I decided to cool the dregs bottle. Meaning the last bottle filled of the batch. It was half full of beer and meant for testing.

I pushed into the freezer to cool quickly. The trouble was, I was distracted and didn't come back to the bottle until the next day and that beer pop was frozen solid.... but sealed. I placed it in the fridge to thaw.

Two days later I pop the top expecting cloudy, flat, disappointing beer.

What did I get? The clearest, perfectly carbonated beer I had ever brewed. I could not smell the beer very well because of a cold I had, but it tasted very clean.

Does anyone know why the beer was so cloudy and how it cleared up?

Super cold = super cold crash?

A better question, to me, is why you are worrying about a wit not being clear. Wits, by definition, are cloudy beers - thanks to the wheat and the proteins in the beer.

To clarify (no pun intended) ...

I don't want it clear, this was by accident.

I guess I didn't make the point clear but I did something wrong in this beer that made it much more than normal hazy. This looks impenetrable.

Which is all the more why accidentally freezing one bottle had such unexpected results.

I opened a second chilled bottled (not frozen/thawed) and it was as murky as the rest.

It's interesting that freezing beer would have that 'super-cold crash' effect on beer.

Freezing beer can clear it so well. None of my homebrews have ever tasted so clean.

I think drinking yeast is over rated. Or maybe it's a denied concession for homebrewers.

Back