sierra nevada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedbass

Reaction score
im lookin for a sierra nevada porter clone. i only found 1 recipe for it i'll list it here tell me what u think.

1 oz of nugget 60 min.
3/4 oz williamette at 40 min.
1/2 oz williamette at 20 min.
yeast: american ale 1056

4 lbs. pale malt lme
2 lbs. amber dme
1 lbs. dark dme

will this work? anything u would change? thanks for any help.

I would encourage you to get steeping because it will make a huge difference in what comes out of the bottle later.

Have you got a kitchen strainer? Not a colander with 1/4" holes for like pasta noodles, a full on strainer with like window screen for the mesh?

If you do you can steep, and being able to steep grains is going to open a whole other world up to you.

With no other gear, what you do is heat your 1.5 gallons until you just start to see bubbles on the bottom of the kettle. That will be about 150-160 degrees F depending on your altitude, but you don't need a thermometer for this.

When you see the bubbles, turn off the heat and pour in your grains. Half pound of 40L Crystal maybe. Leave the heat turned off. Put the lid on your kettle. Set a timer for thirty minutes. When the timer goes off strain your tea.

Keep the spent grains in the strainer, put your now brown water on to boil and experience the next level.

I didn't really mean to highjack or go off topic, but once you can/have steeped you are going to have a bajillion new options and better beer. I wonder if there is a steep/extract version of SN Porter...it isn't that hard to do.

what are the IBU's on your recipe? the only thing 'special' about Sierra Nevada is they over hop every style (which I cannot stand, but I know some people love their hops/bitterness).

If your IBU's are over the upper range for a porter, you're on the right track in terms of bittering hops.

Shouldn't there be some chocolate malt and a darker cystal malt in a porter? Your version looks like more of an amber ale.

It would work. How close it will be depends on how the dark & amber extracts were made.

thanks for the help guys.. the only thing i no about steeping grains is throw them in a muslin bag and wait 30 min. im as lost as last years easter egg. im pretty happy doin extract and some steepin when i got a recipe. i can follow a paper...just not on my own. just moved my first batch to secondary today, an amber ale. also brewed my second round today..a porter. all i can say if the final results have anything to do with the smell an taste of that ale i racked over today. i wont be able to sit still and drink it.

Nothing wrong with steeping in a muslin bag - I've been doing it that way since I started, and have had fabulous results (grains in bag, bag in cold water, turn on heat and remove grains just before boil). Based on the extract-only beers I've tasted from my Pop's brews, I would +++++1 on steeping...

With your recipe, my suggestion would be to drop the dark DME, and add maybe a 1/3 lb each of chocolate and black patent, and maybe a 2/3 lb of crystal 20 (I didn't put that through a recipe generator, so probably needs some adjustment - just some ideas)

My own porter is pretty similar to that with a different hop bill - it's quite good, and nearly gone... ;o(

Latest posts

Back