Cleaning Stove After Boil Over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senfo

Reaction score
We had a nasty boil over Friday and it caked on the stove pretty bad. We wore out a few different sponges (even after all-night soaking) before I looked into something a lot more powerful. Ended up settling with EASY-OFF and it worked great. I had to let it sit over night, but it wiped up with minimal effort after soaking. Just make sure you wear gloves (it leaked through the bag I was using a makeshift glove and my skin is pealing off).

Just thought I'd mention it in case anybody suffers through the same nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one time I had boil over on the stove I immediately turned off the heat, cleaned up, then continued with the boil. I did not let it get burned on.

I now brew outside on propane burners.

The one time I had boil over on the stove I immediately turned off the heat, cleaned up, then continued with the boil. I did not let it get burned on.

I now brew outside on propane burners.

I thought about doing that, but didn't think it would be nearly as bad as it turned out to be. Last time I make that mistake.

These are the words of a future propane enthusiast :)
kab4_banjo_burner.jpg

I purchased Foam Control($7) from my LHBS,,,,,also works great in boiling pasta and other foods that have the potential to boil over. My first batch was done on the stove top as my propane burner was defective and I did have a slight boil over as it was my first boil. Put in two drops of foam control and all was well for the rest of the boil.

SOS pads are always a good option.

After a good boil over on our flat top, I went to Wal Mart and spent $25 on a 32 quart pot. Getting a boil takes a while, but well worth the extra inches of security.

I purchased Foam Control($7) from my LHBS,,,,,also works great in boiling pasta and other foods that have the potential to boil over. My first batch was done on the stove top as my propane burner was defective and I did have a slight boil over as it was my first boil. Put in two drops of foam control and all was well for the rest of the boil.

fermcap is a godsend. Works great for the boil as well as for fermentation. I gill my 3 gallon better bottles almost to the bottom of the neck and have very few issues.

Bathroom cleaner. The scrubbing bubbles kind. Laugh all you want but I find that spraying it on, waiting 5 minutes for the bubbles to pop and wiping off works wonders. You may need a second coat, but you would be amazed. Additionally it is much kinder to the skin than easy off.

My first batch was on the stovetop and ended up in a horrible caked on mess that took a while to clean. Now I brew on a propane burner. The one time I boiled over in that the mess wiped right off the garage floor with no trouble at all.

Soaking with anything helps, that way the caked on goo softens. Also, besides what has been mentioned above alcohol makes a good solvent, so rubbing alcohol or the sanitary/disinfecting wipes from Costco or Lysol work real well too. Even with a larger pot there are still the occasional boil overs. A spray bottle of water to mist with water when the foam gets high helps too.

Something that has zero odor to it is Bar Keepers Friend. Works great cleaning stove tops, and so much more. I used it to clean up the stove at my old place, after boil-overs and such. No need to let it sit on the stove, just use it as per instructions. I've used the regular powder version as well as the liquid now. I'll probably keep the liquid for use in cleaning stove tops, but get the powder again for pots and pans.

Cooktop magic. It is literally the soft scrub of cooktops. My 20 year old cooktop looks like new and you can see your reflection after I use it. No need for a razor, just apply to areas and scrub with a sponge or soft pad. It really is awesome

If you want to completely eliminate scrubbing buy a MAGIC ERASER. It will take anything off with a wipe. No cleaners. I honestly don't know why I kept scrubbing and scrubbing with noxious cleaners for all those years.

Latest posts

Back