Hop Bursted Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@thanatos, good to know! They did tell me they have updated their packaging and storage of BRS, and I'm glad to hear it works!

Okay friends, I am "fiending" to brew a batch of beer today... Below is my take on mloster's HBPA. I am concerned that without any sorghum, it will turn out like my blonde ale, which while tasty, has the body of a can of sprite or a glass of champagne, very light with lots of bubbles but no head... Will the buckwheat honey along with copious amounts of maltodextrin help? Also, any other feedback is welcome...

Time - Additions
60 - 6lb. Rice Syrup, 1lb. Invert sugar, 12oz. Buckwheat Honey, 4oz. Blackstrap Molasses, .5oz Magnum, 8oz. Maltodextrin, 1oz. Gypsum
20 - .75oz. Cascade, .75oz. Amarillo
15 - 1tsp Irish Moss, .5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
10 - .75oz. Cascade, .75oz. Amarillo
0 - 1oz. Amarillo
DH - 1oz. Cascade, .5oz Amarillo

Brewtarget says:
OG - 1.058
FG - 1.014
ABV - 5.6
IBU - 61.8
SRM - 5.4

Okay friends, I am "fiending" to brew a batch of beer today... Below is my take on mloster's HBPA. I am concerned that without any sorghum, it will turn out like my blonde ale, which while tasty, has the body of a can of sprite or a glass of champagne, very light with lots of bubbles but no head... Will the buckwheat honey along with copious amounts of maltodextrin help? Also, any other feedback is welcome...

Time - Additions
60 - 6lb. Rice Syrup, 1lb. Invert sugar, 12oz. Buckwheat Honey, 4oz. Blackstrap Molasses, .5oz Magnum, 8oz. Maltodextrin, 1oz. Gypsum
20 - .75oz. Cascade, .75oz. Amarillo
15 - 1tsp Irish Moss, .5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
10 - .75oz. Cascade, .75oz. Amarillo
0 - 1oz. Amarillo
DH - 1oz. Cascade, .5oz Amarillo

Brewtarget says:
OG - 1.058
FG - 1.014
ABV - 5.6
IBU - 61.8
SRM - 5.4

How is this turning out?

How is this turning out?
Well... I don't know yet. I've been ignoring it. It spent 2 weeks in the primary and now 2 weeks in the secondary; gonna bottle it this weekend.

I have however, changed my batch's name from Hop Bursted Pale Ale to "Bag Bursted Brown Ale"... I was using two 3lb bags (bag in a box) of rice syrup, and while cutting one of the bags open, I ended up pouring most of it all over my kitchen (very messy). I estimate I got about 4lbs of the rice syrup into the boil. So, in a panic to bump up the fermentables, I added 2 more ounces of molasses and a 1lb bag of dark candy crystalized sugar (like a belgium rock candi?) to the boil.

I would be hilarious if this turned out to be my best effort yet. We'll see.

Well... I don't know yet. I've been ignoring it. It spent 2 weeks in the primary and now 2 weeks in the secondary; gonna bottle it this weekend.

I have however, changed my batch's name from Hop Bursted Pale Ale to "Bag Bursted Brown Ale"... I was using two 3lb bags (bag in a box) of rice syrup, and while cutting one of the bags open, I ended up pouring most of it all over my kitchen (very messy). I estimate I got about 4lbs of the rice syrup into the boil. So, in a panic to bump up the fermentables, I added 2 more ounces of molasses and a 1lb bag of dark candy crystalized sugar (like a belgium rock candi?) to the boil.

I would be hilarious if this turned out to be my best effort yet. We'll see.

Sounds like something I would do. Let us know how it turns out. Think I'll be making a GF for friends next week. I'm on the fence about cutting the sorghum with rice syrup and buckwheat honey or just not using sorghum.

Bottled a version o this last night....used the same recipe but added just a touch of molasses and 8 oz of maltdextrin

Excited to try a beer without sorghum

Will report back once it's carbed

Back