Kenmore 6 cu ft kegerator questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankstoneline

Reaction score
I searched and couldnt find/figure out how to word the search properly, so I figured I'd just ask here.
I just picked up a kenmore 6 cubic foot fridge with the intentions of building a 2 tap kegerator. When I was looking over it a minute ago, i realized that there is a line running across the top and then into the freezer tray, which I assume is the freon line. However, the fridge isnt quite tall enough to fit kegs in with the freezer as is. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem/know of a solution?
Thanks in advance.

Hi

The standard solution is to bend the freezer tray down and back against the back wall of the freezer. If you kink the line - you're toast.

Bob

I let mine warm up to room temperature before I bent it. It made it much easier to bend the whole piece rather than kinking it in certain spots.

I ran into the same thing, now trying to decide if I want to take a chance or buy a fridge without a freezer

Hi

A lot depends on how much you have invested so far. I'd very much vote in favor of going with a freezer as the base. They are a lot easier to convert, cheaper on a $ / cu ft basis, and more energy efficient.

Bob

I've invested 50 bucks. All in all, I'm really happy with the fridge as a base, but i was trying to find if people had experience with this specific type of freezer tray deal. the integrated freon lines are something I havent seen mentioned before in DIY how-to's.

Answered my own question, but for the record:
I unhooked the freezer tray from the ceiling (fridge was completely defrosted/warmed to room temp) then popped the wire running from the thermostat to the sensor off of its keeper clip to free the tray, and without much effort the freezer tray bent back to a vertical position, and without any modification it appears a 5lb CO2 tank will fit in the door with 2 kegs in the fridge body. with a collar 3/4 kegs would be no sweat.

Back