Tangerine Wheat Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baptistbrewer

Reaction score
I am making a Tangerine wheat. Here is my recipe...
8.0 oz Rice Hulls
5.5 lbs 8.0 oz White Wheat Malt
4.5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row)
1 lbs Munich Malt
0.25 oz Magnum - Boil 60.0 min
0.25 oz Magnum - Boil 15.0 min

Then I was gonna use US-05

My question is two part. First how does the recipe look? Second, how should I add the tangerine? I bought 4oz of extract and I am thinking about adding at kegging. Last time I did a fruit beer I added strawberries to the secondary and it wasn't good.

Will the 4 ounces be enough to get a strong tangerine taste? I am looking for a Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat feel.

Thanks!

you'll get different answers from everyone on this...dont think theres a definitive best way. I personally am not an extract fan. Ive made blood hefe multiple times, i pastuerize the oranges and some peel and dump everyting inot the primary and rack on top of it with good results...

I agree, extract always taste a little unnatural to me. Used it for a couple different brews and while they were ok, you could just tell it was extract. Also 4 oz. is a lot when it comes to extract in a wheat ale. I would start with 2-3 oz. then add to taste.

oh and yeah the recipe looks good, never used magnum myself what type of flavor does it add? Also yes add extract at kegging if you want or if you are using a secondary you could add a some to it then taste it before you keg and add more as you see fit.

Yea sorry. Total misread. So extract fruit is not so bueno. How would I add tangerines to seconday.

Yea sorry. Total misread. So extract fruit is not so bueno. How would I add tangerines to seconday.

I mean you can, esp if you already bought the extract, it will work fine. Point alot of us think the flavor leaves alot to be desired. If you go with adding tangerines, I'd consider doing it in the primary. Tho secondary will aslo work. What I do, is pastuerize the fruit in a pot with a bit of water (not much) with all the fruit ties up in a muslin bag. then I dump all of it, muslin bag, and water into the primary and rack on top of it...works for me for Blood Orange wheat brews

Wheatmeister said:
I mean you can, esp if you already bought the extract, it will work fine. Point alot of us think the flavor leaves alot to be desired. If you go with adding tangerines, I'd consider doing it in the primary. Tho secondary will aslo work. What I do, is pastuerize the fruit in a pot with a bit of water (not much) with all the fruit ties up in a muslin bag. then I dump all of it, muslin bag, water into the primary and rack on top of it...works for me for Blood Orange wheat brews

Ok sounds good its a day in primary so how many pounds of fruit and how much water?

Theres no correct answer, ppl do it differently. depends on how prevalent you want the flavor to be. Go anywhere from 1 tangerine and 1 cup of water up to 4+ tangerines in 2+cups of water. I'd zest the tangerines, quarter them, put it all into the muslin bag. add at least 1 cup of water to a pot and pastuerize for awhile. search pasturize to get exact temps and process, theres multiple threads on here about it, but its really easy. while your pasturizing, use a stir spoon and crush the tangerines to get the juices out and into the water, by the time your done pasturizing and its cooled off, the water will provide as much if not more flavor than the contents left in the muslin bag once they go into the fermenter..my 2 cents

So experiment 1 went bad... Extract as you guys said was a poor choice. Brewing it again. Here is my plan

The beer prior to extract was good so I'm brewing it again, after second week in primary I'm going to add potassium sorbate and kill the yeast. After that I'm going to rack into secondary and add tangerines via pasturization.

The question then becomes how many # of tangerines

My Belgian Orange Wheat is a staple in my kegarator. drinking some right now. i have done this many times. i have an abundance of orange trees, including tangerines in my yard, so they come cheap. for a 10 gallon batch i use 8-10 oranges. do as the other poster suggested, in the muslin bag. i core out the insides with a spoon, then peel the skin with a potato peeler. boil a quart of water for a few minutes. turn off the flame. dump everything in the water. let it sit a few minutes. then dump all the solids into a sterilized nylon stocking or muslin bag. then dump it all, pan of water with juice, and bag right into the primary. add your wort, then pitch your yeast. the orange skin has a lot of oils in it which add to the flavor. makes a nice beer

My Belgian Orange Wheat is a staple in my kegarator. drinking some right now. i have done this many times. i have an abundance of orange trees, including tangerines in my yard, so they come cheap. for a 10 gallon batch i use 8-10 oranges. do as the other poster suggested, in the muslin bag. i core out the insides with a spoon, then peel the skin with a potato peeler. boil a quart of water for a few minutes. turn off the flame. dump everything in the water. let it sit a few minutes. then dump all the solids into a sterilized nylon stocking or muslin bag. then dump it all, pan of water with juice, and bag right into the primary. add your wort, then pitch your yeast. the orange skin has a lot of oils in it which add to the flavor. makes a nice beer
I am on the fence over adding the fruit to the primary or secondary. I was planning my first tangerine wheat this weekend and was going to add tangerines to the primary a few days into fermentation once I hit roughly 1.020 and let it ferment out and then transfer to a secondary for a few more weeks.

My biggest fear is not having the head space in a 6 gallon primary to add 4-5 pounds of fruit

Here is my recipe so far (10 gallon batch split in two, one tangerine, one peach or...)

Lost Coast Clone.jpg

Back