Kegging Issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcfail

Reaction score
Ok so i just started to keg, i bought a kegerator and hooked everything up, set it to around 20 psi for 2 weeks, when i tried it was super foamy, when it settled the beer was flat. So i checked the temp it was 45 so i bought a freezer and now have it at about 36, have bled the pressure and its still foamy and flat. Need to have it ready for super bowl sunday. Any help on how to fix would be great. Thanks

20 seems high for psi. I usually do about 10 for a week. 45 or 36 would be OK temps or anywhere in between. Foam is usually from over carbonation, warm beer or your beverage line is too short, 5 feet is usually long enough and you want to have 3/16th beverage tubing.

If your beer is indeed already overcarbonated I'm not sure the procedure to actually degas it aside from just leaving the keg open or something.

Basically to play it safe I've been kegging by setting the PSI to 10 in my fridge and then in about a week it's fine. I do not do the set high for a few days, or shaking or anything.

Turn your psi up to 30. Shake the keg for a minute or two. Shake it another minute or so tomorrow. Come Friday bleed the tank and set your psi to around 10. My limited experience is I get better results at around 8psi. I've also found that it depends on what kind of beer you are serving. I usually have to serve my stouts and porters at around 6psi. Hope this helps.

Your beer is most likely over-carbed. Shut the gas off, and start "burping" the head space every chance you get until it calms down.

How long - and what inside diameter - are your beer lines? 3/16" ID is what they should be, and length should be somewhere around 10'. If you're running the typical 5 foot lines that seem to be the "stock" length, definitely consider replacing them with 10 footers...

Cheers!

day trippr is right about the length. I've got 5 footers and it's fine for me but since you are having issues, perhaps 10 feet is the way to go.

20psi for 2 weeks = DEFINITELY over carbonated. You shouldn't need 20psi for more than 48hrs or so. If you're planning on setting it and waiting 2 weeks, then set it at the correct serving pressure for the volumes of co2 you want. To fix this, unhook the gas and pull the pressure release. Repeat the venting until you reach the proper carbonation level. If you still have foamy pours, then as mentioned above, adjust your beer line length. 10' of 3/16 works for most people.

Thanks guys on my way to get more tubing and will try the rest and hope all will work. Thanks agian.

Back