Jalepeno Poppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Okay-

So I made Jalepeno poppers....stuffed with:

Cream cheese
Sun- Dried Tomatoes
Minced Garlic
Fresh Basil
Salt/Pepper

And wrapped in turkey bacon.

They came out divine.....but MAN were they hot! I literally had to stop at 2 because they were atomic (and I eat EVERYTHING with hot sauce).

I took out all the seeds, maybe it was just that crop of peppers. God help me tomorrow when it's time to.......offload.:eek:

Did you clean the white veins out too? I made a batch of 20 yesterday for my sister and she did not have gloves. I clean them in a bowl of water which keeps the fumes down, but my hands have been on fire since yesterday. Never again without gloves. Doh!

I grow Jalapeños and Pablanos and definitely will not chop em up without gloves. If ya get adventurous, make a simple beer batter (1c flour, 1c beer, 2 eggs and season to taste) chop up those jalapeños and batter em. Fry em up in 365 oil till golden brown. You will NOT be sorry!

I like to put a small Thai Hot chili inside, you know for a surprise! :D

Haven't made Poppers in ages, I do like them though.

No, I didn't remove the veins. I ALMOST batter fried mine....but then I got to thinkin' about Ed's picture with the bacon wrapped and grilled version. I was already smoking a brisket, so I figured what the hell...

Gonna clean thoroughly and fry next time. Hopefully I can destroy some of the capsaicin.

ScubaSteve said:
Gonna clean thoroughly and fry next time. Hopefully I can destroy some of the capsaicin.

You won't actually be able to destroy it with heat. The only way to reduce the amount of capsaicin is to remove the membrane. ;)

never made them homeade, bet they beat the store ones all to heck.

EdWort said:
...my hands have been on fire since yesterday. Never again without gloves. Doh!
Worse is when you prep some chiles de arbol without wearing gloves, and then forget to wash your hands before you go to the bathroom and take a whiz. In about 10 seconds (mid-stream, mind you) you reel back from the intense, unexpected burning sensation that is erupting in the most sensitive of places. Your body instantly goes into shock-- you are helpless to stop the urination process-- in fact, it becomes even MORE forceful, but without your basic motor skills, it is like an unmanned firehose, dousing the walls, floor, and even the ceiling as you fall backwards into the bathtub and slam your head on the tile wall. As you fight to maintain consciousness and comprehend what is happening, tears uncontrollably begin streaming down your face--you try to wipe them away--NO!--now the inferno has spread to your eyes! You are blind! Within about 30 seconds SWMBO comes in to see what all the commotion is about, and finds you rocking back and forth in a fetal position in the bathtub, cursing and speaking in tongues, face wincing with pain as the tears stream down, all the while your painfully irritated junk is hanging out of your urine-soaked trousers for all to see. :eek:

Then she has the nerve to chastise you about your aim... :(

SixFoFalcon said:
Worse is when you prep some chiles de arbol without wearing gloves, and then forget to wash your hands before you go to the bathroom and take a whiz. In about 10 seconds (mid-stream, mind you) you reel back from the intense, unexpected burning sensation that is erupting in the most sensitive of places. Your body instantly goes into shock-- you are helpless to stop the urination process-- in fact, it becomes even MORE forceful, but without your basic motor skills, it is like an unmanned firehose, dousing the walls, floor, and even the ceiling as you fall backwards into the bathtub and slam your head on the tile wall. As you fight to maintain consciousness and comprehend what is happening, tears uncontrollably begin streaming down your face--you try to wipe them away--NO!--now the inferno has spread to your eyes! You are blind! Within about 30 seconds SWMBO comes in to see what all the commotion is about, and finds you rocking back and forth in a fetal position in the bathtub, cursing and speaking in tongues, face wincing with pain as the tears stream down, all the while your painfully irritated junk is hanging out of your urine-soaked trousers for all to see. :eek:

Then she has the nerve to chastise you about your aim... :(

Ok, that was funny as ****. First time I worked with my homegrown one's (w/o gloves) I did the eye thing and that was hell enough. Glad I emptied the bladder before I knew what I was dealing with. Did anyone get affected by the fumes as well? Made me start coughing like crazy too. My peppers that grow in winter are firey hot and are more mild in the summer months. The winter pepper fumes were the ones that got to my throat.

SixFoFalcon said:
LOL! What makes this even funnier is that it's really not much of an exaggeration! Been there, done that...with habaneros, no less! (Was slicing and dehydrating a few dozen for my homemande habanero powder.) The fine Italian marble in my bathroom has never been quite the same.

Sounds like a good time to RDWSYJHB. (Relax, Don't Worry, Soak Your Junk in a Homebrew.) :eek:

DesertBrew said:
Ok, that was funny as ****. First time I worked with my homegrown one's (w/o gloves) I did the eye thing and that was hell enough. Glad I emptied the bladder before I knew what I was dealing with. Did anyone get affected by the fumes as well? Made me start coughing like crazy too. My peppers that grow in winter are firey hot and are more mild in the summer months. The winter pepper fumes were the ones that got to my throat.

It never fails that, every time my older brother has any contact with peppers he inevitably touches his eyes. So I am prepared for the muffled cursing whenever he is around chilis :D

Once, without thinking, I had been marinating some meat in (among other things) finely minced Habanero. Well I decided to cook it all up in the wok. Let's see, smoking hot wok + finely minced hot chili = bad idea! It was like tear gas in the house in a matter of seconds. You literally couldn't go into the kitchen. :D

Instead of cream cheese stuffing them with crab meat is wonderful!

Mmmmm crab stuff Jalepeno's

TxBrew said:
Instead of cream cheese stuffing them with crab meat is wonderful!

Mmmmm crab stuff Jalepeno's

I have seen that rendition, but haven't personally tried it but it does look good. I think this round on Friday night at our place will be a blend of sharp cheddar and some smoky bacon (among other things).

Back