Overcarbed! How do I lower the carb level?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Force carbed a CAP recently and after about 2 days or so at 30 PSI (I was in a hurry) the carb was about right. Not sure what happened, but I think the gas may have been on too long at that pressure and now I get tons of foam.

I think the CO2 is coming out of solution once it gets in the lines.

I tried raising the pressure up to a point where it would be equalized, but now the whole pour is foamy. Too much pressure I think.

I KNEW I was going to be in trouble by starting at 30 PSI, but it's too late now.

What's the best way to get the CO2 out of the beer and re-carb?

Take the keg off the gas, pull it out of the fridge or keezer and vent off the excess pressure several times for a few days. The warmer temp will help the gas come out of solution, it could take more than a few days depending on how often you vent and how over carbed it is.

When this happens to me I just lower the regulator setting to 8 PSI or so and start drinking. The first 4 or 5 pints are foamy and it slowly goes away as I pour more pints.

Linc

When this happens to me I just lower the regulator setting to 8 PSI or so and start drinking. The first 4 or 5 pints are foamy and it slowly goes away as I pour more pints.

Linc

Last time I tried that and it took FOREVER to get equalized.

I guess I'll have ot yank it and start purging. Thankfully it's a very clear pilsner.

I've found that if I don't take it off the gas, it will take forever to get the carbonation lowered.

Just yesterday I read a great thread buried somewhere in the forums that 'splains how to drive CO2 out of an over-carbed keg by pumping brief shots of CO2 into the keg via the Out tube. The CO2 creates nucleation sites causing dissolved gas to break out, which in turn creates more nucleation sites - basically a cascade effect in action. Responders to the thread claimed it definitely provided a rapid solution to their over-carbed problem.

I haven't had the need to do this yet but I have it filed away in Brain Space just in case ;)

Cheers!

Interesting.

But I already pulled the keg out ans shook it up. Guess what? It's almost empty! =8(

DAMN that went fast!

I forgot to put it back in the kegerator after letting it sit out for a little while too. Good thing I got a door full of bottles to hold me over.

Back