Greenhand Brewer... Green Thumb Hops Grower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglassBrewer

Reaction score
So I am only on my 4th brew, but I know this is going to be a long term love affair with the hobby. Just started some research on growing hops. I live in Southern California (Santa Monica to be specific). I love hefeweizens but we aren't exclusive. I have always loved gardening and my dad has a crazy green thumb. He isn't big on brewing (or alcohol in general) but totally supports the hobby. I figured this would be a chance to get the old man involved more than just saying, "good job hope your friends like it".

Anyway are there any hop gardeners in LA that have any local tips or suggestions for strains to grow? Or anyone in general have any strains they like or suggest. I'm still green to brewing so I don't have a strong nose for hops or have developed a love for a particular kind. But I want to get them in the ground.

The advice I give people is grow what you use. With 4 beers under your belt, I suggest looking at your favorite beers. Figure out their general recipe, the look at the reoccurring hops. I still think you should grow what you use. In your case, based on your favorite beers, you need to figure out what you might use. Something to dwell on...

The advice I give people is grow what you use. With 4 beers under your belt, I suggest looking at your favorite beers. Figure out their general recipe, the look at the reoccurring hops. I still think you should grow what you use. In your case, based on your favorite beers, you need to figure out what you might use. Something to dwell on...

This is good advice.

Due to your brewing experience level (I'm at a simpler point myself), I suggest you buy a little bit of many types of hops. Take them home, smell them, make long and short boil tea out of them, see what flavors you like most.
I would suggest you get one bittering type plant and two or three aroma.

Back