Starting to form a plan....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
So, since the last time I posted in this thread, I've been kicking around ideas in my head, and think I might have come up with a basic plan to build what I want.. So I need some input..

I want a national park style rock chimney fireplace/smoker/grill (made from lettuce sized river rock).. I want it to double as a smoker... possibly even a BBQ grill..

So the idea I came up with was to find an old wood stove somewhere (craigs list, garage sale, whatever).. The old kind that aren't epa compliant (cuz I 'need' it to make smoke).. I'd build a rock enclosure around it, so that it acts like an 'insert'.. I'd like to get the kind where the vent is out the back of the unit, and build a chimney around that...

Just after the chimney vent turns 'upward', I'd build a heavy steel box in the backside of the rock chimney structure.. with a door facing out the backside.. This would be the smoker section... I could then build a heavy duty BBQ grill on top of the wood stove.. encasing everything in decorative rock...

Couple questions..

A) Does this sound like a viable approach?
B) Do I need 'anything' else in line with this box for wood chips or whatever?

I've never used a smoker before, and I know many use wet wood chips.. Do I need to worry about this with a wood fired stove? Do I need to integrate something into the system for this purpose?

C) How big should the box in the back be?
D) What all should be in this box? (ie drip tray, something for wood chips or liquids, a damper, etc..)

Thanks
:mug:

Okay.. I put together some 3D renderings of what I want to do... Are all the main ingredients here? Or is there something missing or wrong with this idea?

Thanks,

FRONT VIEW SHOWING STOVE AND GRILL AREA
smoker_bbq_front_view.jpg

BACK VIEW SHOWING SMOKER CHAMBER
smoker_bbq_back_view.jpg

CUTAWAY VIEW SHOWING STOVE, GRILL, SMOKER CHAMBER AND FLUE...
smoker_bbq_cutaway_view.jpg

I read what you posted yesterday and I really don't have a response for you. I think something like that is beyond what you will be able to get much help with on a homebrewing forum.

Check out www.bbq-brethren.com. There are a bunch of people on there that have built and designed their own cookers, although I have yet to see anything on there like you have.

Thanks for replying... I'll check that out...
As usual, I gotta be difficult!
:D

I was just under the impression that smokers came in all shapes and sizes, and shared some common components.. But I wasn't sure....

Hopefully, there isn't as much science to this as there is in building a brew stand!

Good luck to your Ravens this weekend! I don't want to see the queefs fans get too cocky!

Thanks for replying... I'll check that out...
As usual, I gotta be difficult!
:D

I was just under the impression that smokers came in all shapes and sizes, and shared some common components.. But I wasn't sure....

Hopefully, there isn't as much science to this as there is in building a brew stand!

Good luck to your Ravens this weekend! I don't want to see the queefs fans get too cocky!

HA! The queefs! HA!

Actually there is a ton of science, planning, and knowledge that goes into building a cooker. You really would be amazed. There is a reason that the good ones sell for many thousands of dollars.

HA! The queefs! HA!

I have more names for them if you're in need!

Actually there is a ton of science, planning, and knowledge that goes into building a cooker. You really would be amazed. There is a reason that the good ones sell for many thousands of dollars.

Which is why I'm posting.. I'm starting with a concept of what I'd like.. then hoping to get input from gurus od all things 'smoker' to modify, cut, grind, and polish that concept into a workable reality....

I can see your reasoning, however it would likely be way to hot to work properly. Your exhaust gasses would be way over your 250 mark.
Check out the smokering forums. There is a build thread there with formulas that may help you formulate a better rig. If you want a moarter and stone cooker check this out:
http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm
This is the blueprint I used for my backyard smoker.

I can see your reasoning, however it would likely be way to hot to work properly. Your exhaust gasses would be way over your 250 mark.
Check out the smokering forums. There is a build thread there with formulas that may help you formulate a better rig. If you want a moarter and stone cooker check this out:
http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm
This is the blueprint I used for my backyard smoker.

Yours has a hearth for the fire 'and' a coals box.. what's the purpose of that?

As far as being too hot goes, what if the smoker box was fed from a diverter from the main flue with a damper to control how much exhaust is ported into the smoker box? Would something like that work?

I really like the national park BBQ/Chimney look.. and I'd like to retain that 'look'.. It's just a matter of knowing what the rules are for the mechanics of the smoker, so I can properly size and integrate everything...

My thinking is that the cost won't be that great.. but will involve a considerable amount of planning and manual labor... I have all the rocks I need on my property already, and this has the added side benefit of clearing the top soil of a lot of them so I can plant ground cover later...

Okay, I see... You make the coals in the hearth and then transfer them to the coals box under the grill..

What is the tube between the hearth and the coals box for then?

And how often do you find yourself transferring coals?

BTW, My desired use for this is for making jerkey and smoked meats... The grill area at the front (on top of the stove) is for general charcoal (or wood coal) BBQing... I just didn't model in a grill/griddle for it....

Back