Too much yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floody

Reaction score
Hi all

I bottled an APA after two weeks in the primary (FG was in fact lower than expected) and I cracked open a bottle a week after bottling day just to check how it was developing .... all I get when I sip on it is the taste of yeast!! Also it is cloudy and the color is more like 14/15 SRM instead of 9 like in the original recipe.

Three days after brewing, I hadn't seen any activity in the fermenter and I thought that the yeast had been killed because I pitched into the wort before it cooled down. So I had pitched in a second packet of yeast.

Now as I think back, should I have left it in the primary for a longer period of time? I bottled because the FG reading was quite low!! Is there anything I can do now or will the yeasty taste go down after more time in the bottles?

Thanks

Floody

If you didn't refridgerate the bottle before opening, that could be one reason for the yeast not flocculating.

Yes, you should have left it in primary a bit longer, but that's not really why it tastes yeasty right now. It is more a factor that you are opening the beer after only a week after bottling it. The yeast hasn't finished it's job and settled out yet. We really recommend leaving your beer alone for a minimum of three weeks @ 70 degrees, then chilling it down for at least 48 hours, preferably a week. It will give it plenty of time to carb and condition your beer, and to let the yeast settle out.

Read this- Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word "patience." :D

I put it in the fridge for a couple of hours just so it would chill. I did notice quite a lot of yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

Back