Pot too full

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltybp

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my second extract batch. The first everything went perfect. This time when I added the extract liquid my pot filled up to just about the top. There is just about 3/4 of an inch. Once this sucker starts to boild I am going to have a mess on my hands.

What are my options, remove some liquid and add it back later, keep the boil to a simmer?

Thanks,
Bill

I agree with david_42. You will boil off liquid and your hop utilisation will be off, but that's all about being a noob :) Next time, get yourself a bigger pot, it seems expensive now, but a good pot is one of the best investments.

Just to add to the above, I'd highly recommend picking up some Fermcap for the future (lots of threads around explaining how it works). It's a game changer.

I have the same issue with a small pot. Is it possible to split the ingredients in half and just do the boiling process twice? Adding each one to the fermentor in two batches? Thanks

Back