sanitizing bottling spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
Last batch when I sanitized the bottling bucket I filled the bucket with 5 gallons of Idopher soulution and splashed it around a bit then let it soak for about ten minutes with my equipment. Then I drained the sanitizer through the spigot into the sink.

Was this enough as far as sanitzing the spigot? I thought maybe I should take the whole thing off and let it soak, but it was hard to get on I had a hard time with making a tight seal and I really did not want to take it off again. It should have been throughly sanitized soaking in the bucket, but I just saw where I should have soaked it separatley.

Any ideas? How do you guys like to do it?

I am not sure I am going to take it apart next time either. For some reason it does not like to seal properly and I don't want to mess around with it for 30 minutes like last time. Also, should the rubber washer be on the outside or inside of the bucket? I put mine on the inside even though it came on the outside, I thought that might make for a tighter seal.

My spigot has two rubber washers. One goes one the outside, and one on the inside. If you only have one, it should go on the inside so the big plastic nut can get a firm seal against the hole. Try not to overtighten it though, because then you'll get liquid dripping out of the hole.

My spigot has two rubber washers. One goes one the outside, and one on the inside. If you only have one, it should go on the inside so the big plastic nut can get a firm seal against the hole. Try not to overtighten it though, because then you'll get liquid dripping out of the hole.

Actually, if you look at Northern Brewer store for bottle bucket spigot they say just the opposite for washer installation, they say the outside. That is where I put it and have no problems with seal leaking.

Back