Jenky Fermentation Chamber help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skitter

Reaction score
Help!

Ok so I just tore apart the kids swingset because it was made out of wood that has started to rot away, however there is still quite enough there that got me thinking about building a modified, Son-Of-A-Fermentation chamber.

I use 2x Mr. Beer kegs, I was planning on building it with one on top of the other with separate shelves, and a small fan that stays on moving air between the two to keep it the same. The cooling chamber will remain the same on the back, pulling the air flow out of the top of the main chamber, making the air flow to the bottom where the ice it, before re-entering the main chamber through the top by a temperature controlled fan.

I have everything to make this happen except for the temperature switch. Is the STC-1000 the cheapest thing out there? I just need something that I don't care if it's digital or not to close a relay to turn the fan off if it ever gets higher than 62-65.

Also, will 1 fan circulating the air between the two halves be enough to keep it the same temperature and not make one hotter than the other?

Thanks

Sorry I needed to add this as well:

Mr. Beer's Kegs are 9" Wide, 9.5" Tall, and 13" Long. Each of the 2 keg chambers will be 12"x12"x18", which, when taking lumber thickness into account, makes for an overall dimension of 28.5" Tall, 15" Wide, and 31.5" Long. Will this be enough for circulation? The Ice chamber will be 6"x the height of the whole thing.

I didn't know how much room I needed around each fermenter.

Also, now I know this is REALLY jenky, but I planned originally on using the construction board foam and corrugated plastic to make the outsides, however I am wondering if aside from aesthetics cardboard on both the inside and outside of the frame would work ok when stuffed with Newspaper...

Like I have repeatedly said, Brewing on a budget ain't got **** on me :)

Could I do this woth smaller ice bottles and constant air flow to remove the need for a thermostat?

Still need walls and insulation but here it is so far

1390091667819.jpg

1390091677066.jpg

1390091695122.jpg

A few thoughts on your project as a owner/user of a Son-Of-Fermentation chamber. I think the foamboard is worth the money for water resistance and insulation they have cardboard and newspaper beat. But heck, if you have a free souce, it maybe worth a try. That device might work for your temperature control, but are the two chambers to be different temperatures or is the air flow enough to go from one chamber to the next and still work? I might have one sensor per chamber to be sure. Check out your home depot end caps, I got my thermostat for $8 and it is a very nice but discontinued model that uses battery power instead of the adapter you might need for that one. I think that constant air flow would deplete your ice bottles, possibly bring your temps below desirable and lose the control you are trying to gain by having this box.

ps. sorry it is poorly formatted, just off the cuff thoughts.

All good, I am going with the linked control and aome 1/2" foam from work doubled up. There is a fan constantly ccirculating air between the bottom and top chamber, the ice chamber fan only kicks on when the switch flips

Its getting there, its taking time and the foam off to the side is being weighted for glue

1392004400670.jpg

So it works great, as far as the controller shutting off when it is supposed to. Problem being it is chewing through Ice really fast. I am using 2 of the Mr Beer 1l bottles to hold water in, I have 6 total that I have in the freezer and keep on rotation. I can put 2 at a time in the ice chamber and it will cycle on and off at 17c for about 3-4 hours before the ice can no longer keep up. Is this normal or do I need to add some weatherstripping in the doors due to leaking air? The doors seem sealed pretty tight, and I can't detect any leak. I am going to go through the inside and seal with Silicon to reduce air transfer but I did that on the outside already.

Discovered the issue being that my controller was not shutting off when it got to the right temp. I could touch the probe, get it up to 24c, and it would stop when it hit 17 like I programmed it, but as soon as it had to turn back on it didn't stop when in the right range.

Back