My fermoire build! And a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbertram

Reaction score
So after having a hideous pink box in my bedroom (studio apt.) for a couple months, I decided to seek out a dresser to do a more elegant fermentation chamber. I started with this armoire I found around me on craigslist. I thought it was real wood due to the weight, but it turned out to be mostly pressed wood - still, it's alright quality.

8424298161_faf7f82842_m.jpg

I had to remove the shelving and adjust the shelf height in the top portion. The smaller bottom portion I kept as drawers for storage.

8424296715_ed67a30afc_m.jpg

I used 2" foamboard (R-10) and Great Stuff spray foam to insulate

8424292479_64bae612d2_m.jpg

A santoku knife for cutting the insulation

8425381352_3e211e45ba_m.jpg

And some old bed cross supports to support the carboy shelf.

8425384060_225834c54c_m.jpg

So now the top is fully insulated except for the doors and I've run into a problem --

8425378712_b02f1c685a_m.jpg

8425377666_4709c6029f_m.jpg

--I want the carboy shelf portion and the ice box portion to open separately as to not let hot or cold air into the one I'm not trying to access. But I also want the foamboard to open with the doors (so I don't have to open the doors and remove a piece of insulation separately). I was going to saw each door into two separate parts until SWMBO talked me out of it.

I'm not quite sure this can be accomplished given my constraints, but any advice, comments, or criticisms would be greatly appreciated!

Vary nice! I have a stand up freezer with a 27 gal conical in it but it is nowhere near as stylish as yours.

Thanks! Yeah, I've got a kitchen, livingroom, and bedroom which you can see every part of from any spot in the house. It's a nice place, but always a trade off between brewing equipment and having a nice apartment!

How about a piece of vinyl shower curtain over the opening of each section? Mount it just inside the line of the door insulation. It will keep most of the mass of cold air in the compartment while you work in the other.

Magnetic strips or velcro could help to make it removable or to hold it out of the way when you need access.

The clear stuff would let you see what's going on inside without opening the rest of the way.

How about a piece of vinyl shower curtain over the opening of each section? Mount it just inside the line of the door insulation. It will keep most of the mass of cold air in the compartment while you work in the other.

Magnetic strips or velcro could help to make it removable or to hold it out of the way when you need access.

The clear stuff would let you see what's going on inside without opening the rest of the way.

That is a great idea! I think This is what I am going to end up doing. I even have an old vinyl shower curtain that has a world map on it, so I can even have it be decorative! Thanks Reynolds!

There, that should fix it up well.

Mostly done, just need a curtain for the top and a few other finishing touches. STC-1000 temp controller is done but not pictured

8424365871_8c903a8572_m.jpg

8425457124_c5b9df2fb9_m.jpg

Latest posts

Back