Recipe Suggestions please??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
Putting together an IRS put together the following:

18lbs 2-row
16lbs munich
10lbs pale LME
3lbs chocolate malt
3lbs roasted barley
2.75lbs crystal 60L
1.25lbs debittered black malt
4lbs flaked oats
5lbs brown sugar

4oz warrior 13.7% 60m
3.5 EKG 5% 15m

I get measued IBUs around 61
est ABV around 14.8%
OG 1.137 FG 1.028

Single infusion mash at around 150 for an hour and a half.

Have 4oz french oak I'm soaking in bourbon for about a month or so and then throw it in with the 2cups of bourbon and let that sit until taste is right with oak.
This is an 11g batch so I can get around 2 5.25g batches roughly after all is done.

Any thoughts on recipe? IBUs? mash? etc?

Thanks for the help!

What if I took the brown sugar out of the boil... or at least 3 lbs of it and added that in around 3-4 days into fermentation to give the more complex sugars some time for the yeast to work on them?
Would this change anything/much of flavor or anything... I've heard it just helps yeast a bit more...

Is the 14.8% with the bourbon or without? Not too many yeasts will eat their way that high. Which yeast are you using? I'd go higher on the IBUs, they fade over the time you'll age this. Yes to adding the sugar 3-4 days later. I would drop the c-60 quite a bit, and maybe use D-180 Candi Syrup to replace some of the brown sugar. You'll still have some of the same flavors, but without the cloying sweetness your faded IBUs won't be able to balance.

If you are going to ferment this as 2 5.5G batches, I'd make them 2 very different batches. 2 yeasts, brown vs D-180, dry-hopping, 2 different types of wood cubes, bourbon vs rum, etc...

I'm using a yeast cake of 007 english dry yeast. If that doesn't eat it's way through I have a high grav yeast 099 I am going to make a starter with and throw that in with a bit of DME to try and get it the rest down.
I was also thinking of adding a bit more hops also. Maybe a 30 min addition or something. Maybe shoot for around 75-85IBUs.
How will the flavors change and sweetness levels change from brown sugar to candi sugar?

and the ABV is before bourbon. If I have the pre-boil high enough and the efficiency is high enough I will probably drop the LME and just shoot for around 12-13.... Depends on how efficiency goes.

Candi sugar will give you the dark dried fruit & caramel flavors of Special B or other dark crystals, but will add minimal body and sweetness, since it will ferment out close to 100%. Using it in place of some of the c-60 should add some complexity. Brown sugar is white sugar with molasses blended back in. I haven't heard great things about using it in large quantities, but that may be mostly due to the thinning/drying effects of any simple sugar. I've heard treacle is nicer, but I've no personal experience with any of these things.

Using large amounts of low-alpha hops for bittering might be better than lower amounts of high-alpha. The IBUs will end up the same, but you'll get tannins as well, which serve a similar purpose and don't degrade as quickly. Of course, the oak has plenty of tannins as well.

Yeast plan sounds solid. Adding the sugar after a few days will help push the yeast beyond its listed ABV tolerance. I think the 99 and champagne yeast are your only bottling yeast options.

I am going to carb in the keg and then use a bottling gun to bottle so no need for the yeast carbing in the bottle.
Hmm... Will have to think on the brown suga or candy sugarr. There is a commercial brewer I know and have brewed with before and they have a smaller stout (still decently large at 9%) but they use 17.2% brown sugar in their coffee stout... Dries it out well and tastes pretty good!

Back