Pea wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I started a batch of frozen pea wine over the weekend.

3lbs of frozen peas (no pods) simmered in 1 gallon of water for 20 minutes. Boiled the water for 15 minutes after peas were removed. Added two pounds of white sugar to the boil and killed the heat. Dropped temperature in an ice bath.

Gravity was insanely high. Topped up with bottled water to the shoulder of my one gallon glass jug and re-tested gravity, 1.10 exactly. Pitched Red Star Cote de Blanc yeast.

Was fermenting very aggresively 24 hours later in sub 60* ambient temperature.

Smell before fermentation, but after pitching the yeast was like a pea sandwich. I've never had a pea sandwich, but I have no doubt that's what it would smell like :p

:rockin: rock on friend. Venture forth into the territory of "what the hell is this fermenting" brews. Hahaha

But seriously is pea wine done sometimes or was this just a spur of the moment deal?

Jack Keller has a pea pod wine on his site.
But I was just thinking that I love the smell and taste of peas, and figured it could make a decent wine.

I love sweet peas! Posting basically to bump and subscribe. Please come back and let us know how it turns out!

Mmmm... pea sandwich....

Oddly enough I had a thought about trying to make pea wine (or mead) a couple months ago. I want to hear how this turns out...

Back