Bread with Beer yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
So, I tried to bake some bread with hefe yeast today....didn't go so well.

The dough rose fine and shaped well and all of that, but when I baked it it smelled...I'm really not sure how to describe itreally, but kind of like rotting apples.

Anyway, thought it might be cool but it wasn't. Maybe other beer yeasts would work better but the hefe yeast I had didn't work so well.

Anyone else try this?

Try it with a bottle of beer instead of with the beer yeast. I've made rolls that way and they're great. My Grandma used to make em that way before she died, there was one kind of beer in particular that worked really well - I want to say it was Pabst Blue Ribbon, but that was a long time ago and I was just a little kid, I'm not sure I remember. I do remember that the kind of beer you buy at the store now doesn't work cause its all pasteurized and stuff. I bet it would work great with some homebrew. When I make em, I just use Bisquick or something and you don't really need yeast. I bet my mom knows the from scratch recipe with the beer yeast though, I'll ask her about it.

greenhornet said:

Anyone else try this?

Sort of reminds me of the days when i thought i could make beer with bread yeast. Didn't work out to well either........:)

greenhornet said:

The dough rose fine and shaped well and all of that, but when I baked it it smelled...I'm really not sure how to describe itreally, but kind of like rotting apples.

Anyway, thought it might be cool but it wasn't. Maybe other beer yeasts would work better but the hefe yeast I had didn't work so well.

Anyone else try this?

I actually tried the same thing last week. I used about a cup of yeast trub from my Heffe, some olive oil & enough flour to make a good dough. Mine also rose well. I split it up into 3 pieces, froze 2 and used 1 immediately for cheese sticks (cheese pizza without any sauce). I tossed the dough, brushed it with butter and added some cheese and cooked it for 20 minutes. The cooked dough actually smelled pretty good but it ended up being fairly heavy, oily and had a very wheaty flavor.

I tried the 2nd batch on Monday. I defrosted it, tossed it and let it rise for an hour, skipped the butter, cooked it for 10 minutes, then added the cheese and cooked for another 10 minutes. That one turned out better, but still a little disappointing.

The 3rd batch is still waiting in the freezer. Not sure what I'm going to try differently on that one. I'm sure beer yeast isn't optimal for making bread, but I just thought it would be a good way to make a more interesting bread.

Just buy a pack/can of brewers yeast, it's relatively inexpensive and lasts a long time.

I know!:cross:
I have tried a little bit of Cal ale in bread. Came out alright, little different than regular, store bought, bread yeast.

Hmmm that wiki article leads you to believe that bread yeast and beer yeast are close if not the same thing. How wrong. I wonder what the genus and species are for all the white labs or wyeast strains. Wouldn't that suck if we referred to them in a Latin name.

Beer and bread yeasts are the same genus & species. A lot like Yorkies and Great Danes are both canis lupus familiaris. Bread yeasts are just good gas generators, like greyhounds.

If you look, you'll find recipes for bread that use spent grains.

Yeah I think I'll try the spent grain next time.

I wasn't trying to be cheap or anything with the beer yeast, we actually have some bread yeast in the pantry. I was just trying out an experiment...don't know what it was really but it just tasted off and the smell was horrible.

Guess I'll just stick with the right yeast for the right job now :D

david_42 said:
Beer and bread yeasts are the same genus & species. A lot like Yorkies and Great Danes are both canis lupus familiaris. Bread yeasts are just good gas generators, like greyhounds.

If you look, you'll find recipes for bread that use spent grains.
If their not different from bread yeast, what makes them different?

Here is a Recipe for Treberbrot, and you can just search for it and a bunch of threads come up with baking ideas. Not really using brewers yeast but spent grains and whatnot.

Cheers

z987k said:
If their not different from bread yeast, what makes them different?
Well, they are not different from most strains of top fermenting ale yeast, they do differ from lager, wheat, speciality strains. The difference is that the bread doesn't offer enough sugar to create alcohol, they just give off CO2 which allows the bread to rise.

yes but if I pitch a packet of bread yeast on my beer it will taste like ass. There has to be a large difference in the strains.

z987k said:
yes but if I pitch a packet of bread yeast on my beer it will taste like ass. There has to be a large difference in the strains.
Are you sure your bread yeast is saccharomyces cerecisiae? They are a little different, you are right. It's kind of like, I'm from Bulgaria, you're from America, we are both homosapiens, but at the same time we are different. One species has evolved into an alcohol producer, while the other work better with bread. However there are beers made with bread yeast, such as Kvass or Sahti, and they are not bad.

Back