my citra single hop ipa recipe (extract with grains)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rguardian989

Reaction score
5 Gallons
Fermentables/Grains

6# Light DME
1# Crystal/Caramel 10L
.5# Crystal/Caramel 30L

Hop Schedule

.5 oz FWH Citra (11%AA)
.5 oz Citra 60 mins
1 oz Citra 20 mins
1 oz Citra 10 min
.5 oz Citra 5 min
.5 oz Citra Knockout
2 or 3 oz Dry hop 7 to 10 days

WLP 001 California Ale Yeast

OG 1.065
FG 1.015
9 SRM
72.1 IBU Rager
6.7% Abv

Im feeling very ballsy on this recipe, its the first one that i've written completely on my own and im looking for a hop monster here
im leaning towards 3oz for dry hopping to get an amazing nose.

that being said im not 100% sure of myself with the hop schedule in the way of the last two additions as to their impact on scent and flavor versus the effect from using such a heavy dose in dry hops.

anyone have any guidance for me?

That will definitely have some Citra Hop Bite!!!!!!

You may want to add some more fermentables, or lessen the Citra additions.

It will give you more of a balanced IPA, rather than a bitter beer you cant stand.
Of course if you are into taste bud torture, DO IT!!!! LOL

haha well as sick as it might sound (which im sure around here i dont think it will) i like to torture my tounge and throat with hops so long as its not just pure bitterness and there is actual hop amazingness flavor going on in there too (eg not really strong ESB's)

i dont want to add much more in the way of fermentables becuase i dotn keg and i dont want a high alcohol beer that takes forever to carbonate like my arrogant bastard clone which im still sitting on waiting for it to carb

This was my hop schedule for my Citra IPA

US Citra 11.0 % 1.00 oz 60 Min From End
US Citra 11.0 % 0.50 oz 20 Min From End
US Citra 11.0 % 0.50 oz 15 Min From End
US Citra 11.0 % 0.50 oz 10 Min From End
US Citra 11.0 % 0.50 oz 5 Min From End
US Citra 11.0 % 1.00 oz At turn off

Mine had a slight nose, great flavor, with a good grapefruit bitter bite.

I might suggest, if it wasn't already planned, to steep your grains then run your hop schedule, and add the DME at the very end, like 10-5 mins left of the boil. It will help bring out the hops.

Sounds like a delicious brew you will have!

yeah i was definitely going to do a late extract addition. should i add a small portion at the beginning oft he 60 mins though?

It's your call, but generally I don't. I steep, then run the hops schedule and then add the extract. But, I don't think there is any harm if you wanted to.

it came out amazing. lots of mango flavor. everyone that tried it asked if i put mangoes in it. out of about 30 people that tried it, most being non craft drinkers, one didnt like it if that gives u any indication to its awesomeness.

accidentally did a whole oz during FWH so i split up the later additions to make up for it as best as possible. next time around I'll just do a whole oz FWH. I'm also gonna rebrew it in a few weeks so i'll post up when thats ready

Latest posts

Back