Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but here it goes... (never done AG before, so brand new to grains...)

I am getting ready to order grains online, and I have this as one of the first recipes that I want to try. The original recipe calls for

1.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

i am ordering from homebrew-supplies.ca and I just don't know what I am supposed to be looking for... then checking the wiki these even look like the same thing? So can somebody please explain the difference?

I can get Crystal 15* "Carastan", and/ or CaraFoam / Carapils Malt - or something else. Thoughts? Advice? Educational links?

Thanks in advance!

Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but here it goes... (never done AG before, so brand new to grains...)

I am getting ready to order grains online, and I have this as one of the first recipes that I want to try. The original recipe calls for

1.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

i am ordering from homebrew-supplies.ca and I just don't know what I am supposed to be looking for... then checking the wiki these even look like the same thing? So can somebody please explain the difference?

I can get Crystal 15* "Carastan", and/ or CaraFoam / Carapils Malt - or something else. Thoughts? Advice? Educational links?

Thanks in advance!

Carafoam willl work the same as Carapils. Crystal 15 may be okay, but will be slightly darker than if you use the 10. (The higher the number..the more caramalization in the malt...and the darker it is).

Hey BM if I where to classify this recipe for contests would it be a cream ale?

If I may answer... I entered as a blonde ale and took 1st place in a contest of over 580 entries... I'll post the scores when I get them. Thanks BM for a sweet recipe.

FWIW, I changed the Crystal up to C-40 if I remember correctly.

made a 5 gallon batch of this over the weekend.

stupid weather forecast said it was gonna be +5 C but it actually was -10 C and -20 with the wind chill.

in my hand is a blue balls belgian whit.

24970_10150161256935046_508205045_11622095_3163824_n.jpg

Nicely done. :mug:

Thanks for a great recipe. Final score was a 36 and like I said it took first in Light Hybrid (Blonde & Cream Ale flight). It got knocked out of BOS because it was on the dry side apparently, I have adjusted the recipe a bit more for the next time around. I actually think I just jumped up to C-20 for the one I submitted, but I didn't document it :(

I've just about kicked my 10gal batch of this and wanted to thank BM for sharing the recipe. A great value, and it even looks great... Cheers

cent_blonde1.jpg

Just wanted to throw this out there, I've done the 10gal All-grain twice, and I'm planning on doing it again tomorrow! Excellent summer beer.

For anyone who wants a variation of the extract version (and actually reads this far)
I put this together for a friend and it tasted AWESOME

4lbs of Light DME
1.3 lbs of Light LME

1/2 lb Caramel 10*L
1/2 lb Vienna 10*L
1/2 lb Carapils
Though Vienna is supposed to be mashed, if you put all those grains in a bag and soak them in 3 qts water @ ~150 for 45 min, then dunk them in 2 qts water @ ~175 for 10 min, the process is very similar to DeathBrewers stove top all-grain method. This adds alot of flavor to the finished beer!

.5 oz Centennial @ 60
.25 oz Cascade @ 20
.25 oz Cascade @5

Just my take. I enjoy all-grain more but this is for helping beginners! DME FTW, you get no off flavors when using it.

Your recipes are awesome BierMuncher

Is this for 5 gallons or 5.5?

thanks

I substituted Carahell for the Caramel 10L. They should be roughly the same color but I'm not exactly sure how the flavor differs.

We brewed this on Saturday (Blog Link) and only came up with five gallons of an expected seven gallon end-product. I scaled the recipe up in BrewTarget and also swapped in Saaz for Cascade. I figured out where I undershot my starting water with this system, so I can compensate next time. Though I hit the OG target.

I also realized my scale only gave me one decimal place, so I rounded the hops up to the next tenth-ounce. I didn't think that would be too much of an issue. Now, I'm concerned that this will be too bitter. I'll take a gravity reading tonight and sample.

If this turns out to be way too bitter, how could I remedy it? Maybe boil up a gallon of water with some DME and add to the carboy, allow to ferment out?

Hey BM, I'm planning on brewing up an 8 gal batch of this tommorrow. I was wondering if williamette would be an okay sub for the centenial. I got about a pound of williamette in the freezer and wanted to use them up. Thanks

Hey BM, I'm planning on brewing up an 8 gal batch of this tommorrow. I was wondering if williamette would be an okay sub for the centenial. I got about a pound of williamette in the freezer and wanted to use them up. Thanks
Williamette will work very well. Less of an American citrus flavor but it will be a very clean drinkable. I wouldn't hesitate t sub it in.

I brewed a batch similar to this as a result of a lack of hops/yeast available. Still smells great though, thanks for the recipe from the feedback this is a winner. Should I crash cool? I am fermenting at about 65F. I have a space available with fairly constant temp around 55F.

BM so you say this can be ready in 2 weeks keg. im getting my keg system in a day, 2 keg system. i have an ipa ready to keg and want to have the other keg filled for a bbq in 3 weeks or so. im gonna give the recipe a shot.

I was thinking 7 days primary, then 1.5 weeks keg condition then force carb. or do you think it would be better for 14 days primary, keg condition a few days then force carb for the weekend?

I was thinking 7 days primary, then 1.5 weeks keg condition then force carb. or do you think it would be better for 14 days primary, keg condition a few days then force carb for the weekend?

Just something similar to this twice: once with BM's Centennial Blonde (using S-04 instead, though) and most recently with my Honey Orange Hefeweizen (using WB-06) though in my cases they had to be done in two weeks!! :eek: You're luck you're got some extra time. To have it come out decently clear, delicious and fully carbonated:

- Don't forget to use finings in the boil
- Give it ~14 days in primary
- Crash cool, rack into a secondary (or keg) on top of gelatin dissolved in hot (not boiling!!!) water
- Give it a few days, maybe 3 (keep it cold if you can)
- If you racked to a secondary, rack to your keg and get it on some gas
- Set it to ~30PSI for 24 hours. Turn off the gas, purge the keg and check the carbonation
- If it's not ready, give it a bit longer. Try checking back in 6-12 hours to be sure not to over-carbonate
- Dial down to proper carbonation temperature when you think it's adequately carbonated

That's just my two-cents. Other people will tell you a million other ways to do it because they work too... that's just the way that works for me.

Good luck!

Brewed this as my first all grain last saturday. Went pretty well, ended up with only 4ish gallons though (boil evaporation rate was off...will correct for that next time). By morning it was heavily fermenting. Its pretty much all done fermenting now...just waiting for it to clear some. Will probably rack onto some gelatin when I keg it in 2.5 weeks. Cant wait to try it!

Brewed this as my first all grain last saturday. Went pretty well, ended up with only 4ish gallons though (boil evaporation rate was off...will correct for that next time). By morning it was heavily fermenting. Its pretty much all done fermenting now...just waiting for it to clear some. Will probably rack onto some gelatin when I keg it in 2.5 weeks. Cant wait to try it!

Only 4 gallons? What was your OG, if you took the reading?

thanks reno. i use irish moss in boils and gelatin in secondary. gelatin can be used in a keg? probably won't secondary.

No problem. Yeah it can be used in a keg but maybe you should do that only if you're going to be serving it at home and not moving it to a party or something... you might disturb the sediment and have BM Blonde with chunks of yeasty-jello. mmm-MMM :D

Well, I brewed this as my first AG batch. I used BeerSmith to print out a brew sheet, and everything went really well. Until I added the hops. I accidentally doubled all of the hop additions to .5 oz instead of .25. I tasted the wort from my hydro sample, (1.042) and it's pretty bitter, but not undrinkable. I was hoping to dazzle my SWMBO, but it looks like I'll have this 5 gallons all to myself. Thanks for the recipe BierMuncher, I'll give it another shot as soon as I get this batch into the keg.

I just brewed an extract version of this last night! Surprisingly hit my OG dead on at 1.040. Getting set to make another tonight but was wondering if and how anyone's used orange peel in this. (I.e. How much? Just orange peel? Squeeze any juice? When to put in boil or should it sit in the primary?) I'd appreciate any advice? Thanks for posting BM!

Only 4 gallons? What was your OG, if you took the reading?

My OG was dead on actually. I ended up dumping it anyways. Im having water issues and finally got my sample in. I have super hard water (I already knew that somewhat) so it tasted way off and I already have 1 batch of extract that after 5 months is now almost drinkable. Just brewed a new batch on Sunday though, and everything turned out right. Cant wait to get a small sample of it in a few days once fermentation settles down =D

I'll assume you are/were drunk and try to let these go.

I just brewed an extract version of this last night! Surprisingly hit my OG dead on at 1.040.

We are here to make beer guys :)
What struck me about grasslands' post was that an extract brewer was surprised to hit the OG. No offense [i do some extract brews too], but the sugars are already fully extracted out in the malt extract. So OG isn't a worry unless you don't use all the extract in the package and/or can't accurately measure water volumes. Sounds like you are there, though! :mug:
good luck with the next one.
oh, and to answer the actual question-- use zest of one orange (just the peel, leave the white bitter part behind) and put it in the last 10 minutes of the boil. I haven't done it with this recipe however.
cheers.

We are here to make beer guys :)
What struck me about grasslands' post was that an extract brewer was surprised to hit the OG. No offense [i do some extract brews too], but the sugars are already fully extracted out in the malt extract. So OG isn't a worry unless you don't use all the extract in the package and/or can't accurately measure water volumes. Sounds like you are there, though! :mug:
good luck with the next one.
oh, and to answer the actual question-- use zest of one orange (just the peel, leave the white bitter part behind) and put it in the last 10 minutes of the boil. I haven't done it with this recipe however.
cheers.

Thanks and I appreciate your advice. Regarding the OG with extract -
being a noob brewer and trying to scale AG recipes to extract ones, it has
been a challenge, to say the least, to be precise in hitting my OG's. Most often I recognize
that I'll land somewhere in a range of gravity points...rather than dead on. This was
my first attempt with DME though, so we'll see how much of a factor that
plays in.

oh, okay. i gotchya. brewing software could help w/ the scaling, like hopville (free) or beersmith to help nail down the conversion issue. and a few points here or there is not a big deal, IMO. it is still beer :)

I brewed this about a week and a half ago. I did make a change to the 2-row load out as the brew software I was using stated that I wasn't going to get any where near the OG. I ended up adding one more pound of 2-row. I think the only thing I accomplished was increase my ABV to 5.25%. Also, I under-estimated my brew house efficiency as I hit 1.042 for OG. Anyways prior to adding the finnings last night this beer is super clear! It is chilling right now and I plan on kegging it tonight or tomorrow night. If all goes well is should be ready by Saturday.

On a separate note, what other hop combos have people tried with this base recipe? Anyone do a Tettnanger/Saaz combo?

Hi all,
As many others this was my first shot at all grain brewing. BM, thanks for the recipe. I felt like everything went great on brew day, which was Sunday. My OG was low 1.033, which I think was due to the crappy mill at the LHBS. I am going to get my own mill. Anyhow, I just racked to the secondary, and had a FG of 1.008. Beer color looks good, however I tried it and it had an overwhelming taste of grain. This beer is super green, only about 4.5 days old, but I was wondering if anyone else had similar results in the taste of the beer from the primary. I was hoping to keg it about a week from now, and am hoping the grainy taste will subside.
Thanks.

I brewed this today for the first time, I had to use 2 different pots since I don't have a big enough one to do it in. after all was said and done, I ended up with 5 gallons and an OG of 1.042 so pretty close to the expected OG from BM. This is my first AG and so far so good. Will keep ya'll posted but I would expect it to turn out like everyone elses on here :) :mug: Thanks for the recipe BM

Hi all,
As many others this was my first shot at all grain brewing. BM, thanks for the recipe. I felt like everything went great on brew day, which was Sunday. My OG was low 1.033, which I think was due to the crappy mill at the LHBS. I am going to get my own mill. Anyhow, I just racked to the secondary, and had a FG of 1.008. Beer color looks good, however I tried it and it had an overwhelming taste of grain. This beer is super green, only about 4.5 days old, but I was wondering if anyone else had similar results in the taste of the beer from the primary. I was hoping to keg it about a week from now, and am hoping the grainy taste will subside.
Thanks.

The grainy taste could be you that you got some grain husks into the boil and they leached tannins into the beer. As for "gree", I hope you mean the taste and not the color. If it truly is green then it sounds like you have some sick beer -- infection. Let us know how it progresses in the next day or two. Also, how is the aroma? Does it smell skunky or "off"?

Thanks for the response pikeman. Thankfully the color is not green, what I meant is the beer is quite new only 4.5 days from brewing. In fact the color looks dead on with the pictures I have been seeing here. I did not notice any husks in the boil. I am reading up on water chemistry. I have well water and am trying to determine if the water chemistry could have anything to do with it.
The beer does not smell 'skunked'. I am hoping a week in the secondary will resolve this, I will post back.

I should probably state the my final gravity on my first batch of this was 1.002. Remember, I did increase the 2-row by a pound. In hindsight the goofy recipe calculator I was using was way off on that and the color. I will stick to the original recipe next time. The other thing I did was rack it straight to the keg from the fermenter. I don't have two carboys to do a rack to a secondary. So I only brew beers where I don't need to dry hop or add any special ingredients to a secondary.

Drinkin' my first bottle of this after sitting for 2 weeks. It's clear as day, pretty much all the way carbonated, just needs to sit for another week or so. Tastes clean and drinkable. Mine turned out at 5.1%. A pretty good session beer. I get a very small smidgen of lacing. Not bad; 11 gallons of a 5.1% beer for only around 17.50. Jawesome.

Made this beer for my 2nd AG batch on Wednesday, but first attempt at chilling with my shirron plate chiller. That didn't go so well... temperature in the fermenter was 100 degrees, so I waited to pitch the yeast until Thursday morning. It's now Saturday morning and I still have no activity in the airlock and no visible trub. Any idea how I can get this one going?

Has anybody tried this recipe with all Centennial? I misread the recipe and used Centennial instead of Cascade for the third and fourth additions. I imagine it'll still be pretty good, maybe just a tad more bitter, which is fine by me -- guess I'll know in a few weeks! :mug:

Back