Suggestion for Keg set up in Apartment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gargoylesama

Reaction score
I have recently found myself moving into a one bedroom apartment. Space, while present, is limited. I am looking to have a keg set up, but am unsure if I want a large freezer taking up walking room. What would be the recommendation for a 2-3 corney keg system in the smallest space?

I live in a small 1br apt too. I found a small chest freezer for $50 on craigslist. It will hold 2 kegs, plus the CO2 canister on the hump. I have some room in my kitchen, so its not too bad.

Thats why I chose the mini fridge route. Only room for 2 kegs so it limits possibilities. But it will take up less space. Who really wants their keezer competing in view of the TV? Will be way easier to move when the time comes also. I figure if I want more taps, I will just get a 2nd one.

Thank you for the comments. I feel much better about getting a chest freezer that will fit two kegs now. The idea of covering it is also somewhat viable.

Another slight consideration in the kegerator vs keezer debate for apartments. Some leases (mainly if you rent from a large company) forbid additional full size appliances other than what comes with the place. An separate freezer would be in violation of the lease. Which could come into play if the play is ever looking for reasons to get rid of you. Mainly market rent changes in the apartment.

I put a Sanyo 4912M in the living room. It's black and chrome, as is most of the stuff in my living room, so it doesn't look like an eye sore. It also means I have a tap 2 steps from the couch.

The thing about the chest freezer is that mostly they don't look any good in a living room. You'd have to put them in the kitchen, and, at least in my case, I don't have ANY space in my kitchen.

Also, chest freezers may burn carpets (not start a fire, but darken/heat-damage it beyond repair). Mini fridges are engineered for office spaces, so I assumed they'd be a bit safer in that regard.

Back