How much is 1 oz of pellet hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSteel

Reaction score
I don't have a scale and since I am just beginning to brew and plan on buying 3 bulk hops (in pellets), I was wondering how I can determine how much 1oz of hops is.
Is there a general number of pellets to base this around?

Any easy way to figure this out? I wouldn't think a measuring cup would be accurate due to spacing between the pellets.

Number of pellets isn't accurate, either, since they're not all the same size. I can't think of a good way around a scale.

Why not just pick up a kitchen scale? Looks like you can find them for around $30.

On the other hand, like with cooking food, sometimes it better and way more interesting if you just eyeball it. Buy a 1oz. packet of hops and pour it into your hand. Remember about how much of a handfull it is and go from there. I'm not confident enough to go this route yet, but someday.....

My diet scale was $7 and has the advantage of working with pellets, whole hops and adjuncts. I even use it occasionally for weighing foods.

lol it looks like I'm going to have to commit to buying a scale. I'll look around for one, but maybe I'll try the comparison to buying a 1oz package.

Bad Bath and Beyond has a cheap "Biggest Loser" kitchen scale for $20. There's always tons of coupons for $5 off or 20% off in the local newspaper inserts.

You can peel the "Biggest Loser" sticker right off and then it's just a nice, cheap digital scale.

Only problem I have with this thing is that it only measure to .1 ounces. Therefore, I can't accurately measure to the quarter ounce. Since I usually make hop-bombs, that's really not much of a problem for me.:mug:

If you get a portable scale at a gas station, cops might think you're dealing something... ;)

Also don't assume that a 1 oz package contains exactly 1 oz. The 1 oz packs that I've bought usually contain up to 1-1/4 oz, which can make a big difference in your brew.

I wouldn't get a spring scale. I just got a pothead digital scale for $9, shipped, and used it for the first time last night. Nice and accurate for these weights. Before that, I had a crappy spring scale that is now on its way to Goodwill.

I wouldn't get a spring scale. I just got a pothead digital scale for $9, shipped, and used it for the first time last night. Nice and accurate for these weights. Before that, I had a crappy spring scale that is now on its way to Goodwill.

Link to the one you bought?

Anyone ever walk into a supermarket to weigh their hops? I'm seriously considering it...

An ounce of hop pellets is roughly equal to a 1/4 cup. I use a digital scale, and after I measure it out, that's usually what I come up with.

If you're getting a whole pound, and you're not too worried about being exact, just divide the whole pound into 16 even portions. I know that when you usually get a pound they bonus you an ounce or two, so if you want to be more exact, take James' suggestion and go to the supermarket first. That way you know if you have 16oz, 17oz or whatever.

One thing to also consider is that you might want to weigh more than just hops. I think my scale was about $30 at my LHBS, and it goes up to 12 lbs (or around there) so it can also be used to weigh extract, dme, corn sugar, or grain. I might be a little concerned that a bowl large enough to hold an ounce of leaf hops could bottom out some of those 500g scales!

If I had to guess without a scale. Maybe a small shot glass full of pellets would be close to an ounce.

A scale purchase is the way to go. I found an electric kitchen scale at an outlet for about $16. A small kitchen scale at walmart or target should be a cheap alternative.

Back