Candi Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramsbottom_Brewer

Reaction score
Am about to brew a strong Belgian beer with a pre-hopped kit. I have bought some candi sugar. Should the candi sugar be boiled in water and added to the wort as a solution? Or should the blocks be simply thrown in as they are?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mark

I assume you mean candi 'rocks'.
They are usually added near the end of the boil.
BTW table sugar is the same as clear 'rocks' and much cheaper.

Does it really matter when you throw the sugar in?

I usually do it for the whole boil.. never really had a problem with it.

not a big deal at all. if you want, you can add it to the boil at the beginning, middle, or end. you can also dissolve it in some boiling water and add it near the end of primary fermentation, a method i used for a belgian strong with good results.

Am about to brew a strong Belgian beer with a pre-hopped kit. I have bought some candi sugar. Should the candi sugar be boiled in water and added to the wort as a solution? Or should the blocks be simply thrown in as they are?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mark

You want to dissolve them in the wort. You can dissolve in water and then add it or you can heat up your whole wort and add it, but don't just toss the rocks in the fermentor. Also, you may want to take the pot off the burner when adding, as they have a tendency to sink to the bottom and caramelize.

Also, you may want to take the pot off the burner when adding, as they have a tendency to sink to the bottom and caramelize.

+1 on the caramelization. Adding at flameout with some stirring will dissolve them within a couple of minutes.

Back