Dark Munich?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrizzell

Reaction score
I've seen several recipes posted here that list a Munich malt with a 20L SRM, but I'll be damned if I can find this malt anywhere. So far as I know, none of the major online HBS carry this.

Where are people finding this malt? Specifically, I've seen it in Yooper's Dead Guy clone and in BM's OctoberFAST. Gotta make these, but gotta find me some malt! :mug:

I wondered the same thing.

http://www.thebeeressentials.com/beer/beer-specialty-malts.shtml <- This place has both 10L and 20L.

That said, I don't order randomly. I stick to who I trust - the LHBS, Midwest, or Austin Homebrew. And usually, it's Austin that gets my order.

So I'm just gonna brew the OktoberFAST as-is with whatever Munich makes it into my cart. I don't care if the color is dead-on. I just like the description of a "liquid Heath bar". Mmmmmmm.

Cheers!

Yeah, that's probably what I'll do as well. I think I've seen 15L Munich at one of the majors and that's all I'll order from. I was just curious where people are finding 20L Munich.

I've seen several recipes posted here that list a Munich malt with a 20L SRM, but I'll be damned if I can find this malt anywhere. So far as I know, none of the major online HBS carry this.

Where are people finding this malt? Specifically, I've seen it in Yooper's Dead Guy clone and in BM's OctoberFAST. Gotta make these, but gotta find me some malt! :mug:

Dark Munich malt from Germany (which if you're going to use Munich malt is where you want it from IMO) is ~10L. Munich with a 20L rating is almost certainly domestic Munich, likely made from 6-row and is really a specialty malt not a true base malt like "real" Munich malt. Use the good stuff and if you want more color adjust the other ingredients in the recipe. :mug:

You'll sometimes see them listed as Munich Type I, Munich Type II or Munich Type III.

I thought those were the brand-name Cara-Munich I, II, and III... which are actually crystal grains not true Munich.....???
I'm not sure on that... Just asking for clarification.

I thought those were the brand-name Cara-Munich I, II, and III... which are actually crystal grains not true Munich.....???
I'm not sure on that... Just asking for clarification.
It's just how Weyermann labels their Munich malt, it is definitely normal Munich and not a crystal grain.

Back