6 gallon secondary ok ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mill3558

Reaction score
I received a carboy from a friend since I recently began brewing. The instructions recommend 2 stage fermentation. Will the extra gallon of headspace be a problem in regards to oxidizing the beer? I plan to keep it in there for 2 weeks.

It should not be an issue. Assuming you don't keep in primary too long, there will be some yeast activity in secondary to produce some C02.

Saying that, many on these forums and many brewing pros, don't see a need at all for a secondary. With modern day yeast, having the beer sit on the yeast bed for a period of time will not harm the beer at all. And these experts are more concerned about oxidation with the transferring of it. What type of beer are you making?

Saying that, many on these forums and many brewing pros, don't see a need at all for a secondary. these people are more concerned about oxidation with the transferring of it. What type of beer are you making?

Skip secondary. adds an unecessary extra point for possible contamination, oxidation and makes you clean another carboy. unless you have a sanitizaion problem or bad practices, you can let your beer sit in primary for months easily. My coworker let his kolsh sit in primary for a year and said it was fine. Thats probably pushing it though (and a waste of time you could spend drinking the beer already made)

Make more beer and keep both fermenters full!

again. skip secondary and if you want to, cold crash your beer in primary which will have the effect of a 2ndary

I have it in a bucket right now. Like I said, I'm new to this and didn't know possible oxidation that may occur in a larger carboy. I'm making a Midwests Superior Strong Ale. 6.7% is the goal. They just recommend 2 stage so that's why I am asking. Thanks for the replies

Latest posts

Back