Found a unopened Sapporo from 1940's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogopunx82

Reaction score
Found it at a small thrift store for a couple of bucks. Looks like a 22 oz bottle. Its from Dai Nippon brewery which brewed Osaka, Sapporo and some others. Theres no label only etchings and raised glass. It's half in english so it may have been for the occupational troops. During the war they up'ed the use of adjuncts (rice).

I'm thinking of cracking it open.

Nice, post a pic, would love to see that.

I would wait to open it after you determine when and where it's from.

I'll post a pic a little later. Not much on the internet about them. There is a .pdf with bottle identification and a history on Dai Nippon. But thats about it. Looks like its in good condition, no nasty ring in the neck. Kinda cloudy but it may be from the quality of glass, theres lots of ripples and bubbles in it.

Here some pictures. I don't have a camera so it was almost useless with my mac. It's hard to see the raised letters.

Photo on 2012-02-27 at 16.51 #2.jpg

Photo on 2012-02-27 at 16.52 #2.jpg

Photo on 2012-02-27 at 17.00.jpg

Photo on 2012-02-27 at 16.52.jpg

If you open it you should try to harvest some yeast. If successful you get to play around with a strain you probably can't find.

Two things:

Before you open it, might do some research on beer collectors. Might be some guy/gal out there that lacks just one bottle to complete their WWII collection of intact beers.

If you decide to drink, you might want to keep a spit bucket nearby. Can’t imagine a 72 year old, presumably lightly hopped and moderate ABV beer is going to be too pleasing the palate.

If you had 2, I'd say give it a shot to sate your curiosity for a 70 year old beer...
But you don't, you only have the one, and once it's open, that's it. You just have an old bottle then, and there is a very obvious chance that it's going to taste like crap anyway.

I'd leave it unopened on a shelf with other brewing novelties and nostalgia.

Your probably right. I already figured it wouldn't taste good. A shelf is probably the best place. Anybody know any beer collecting sites? I've only found a couple.

It could be flat after that long. Also I'll bet it tastes like a whole lot of wet library books.

I notice the old "What is the WORST beer you have ever had?" thread is near the top right now. Just saying.

Interesting. Not sure of the valuation of this particular bottle, but I saw a mint IPA can go for about $3,500 once.

Back