Is Oxiclean Food Safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesnbeers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a feeling this topic may ruffle some feathers, but i have been searching for info on whether Oxiclean is safe for cleaning fermenters like so many people are doing. Granted, I am not a chemist (by a long shot). I've heard people compare PBW to Oxiclean.

I stopped by the Oxiclean site to see if they had anything to say: "Can I clean my coffee pot with Oxiclean Versatile Stain Remover? No."

http://www.oxiclean.com/FAQ.aspx

I'd like to use it. Any input appreciated.

Thanks!

I only use OxiClean to strip labels from bottles, because it works wicked pissah.

That being said, I only use StarSan to clean my fermenter, carboys, bottles, siphon, hoses, hydrometer, thermometer... You get the idea.

Since they say bleach is safe, well rinsed, I'd say it's safe to say that OxiClean is safe, well rinsed out.

The only thing that would concern me, is using OxiClean with plastic. But that's just because I'm a tinfoil hat wearer when it comes to plastic.

You're probably fine...

I don't know if it's food safe, my intuition tells me no but I could be wrong. That being said the only thing I use it for is soaking and cleaning bottles, which it does a great job of. It does leave a slippery film and must be rinsed thoroughly.

I use PBW for everything else.

I use it (i.e. Oxiclean Free) and PBW frequently, but I also rinse them well to reduce any residue to trace levels and follow-up with StarSan before brewing.

I use Oxy Clean to clean my carboys after fermentation and my mash tun before brewing. Usually fill them both with hot water and let them soak over night. Rinse really well and have never had a problem. That stuff cleans everything!

Thanks for the replies so far!

I know a lot of people use the stuff and have great success with it. I'd like to hear from Oxiclean or a chemist before I start adding it to the regular routine. It just sounds like that info is non existent.

You are rinsing the product out. People use CLR to clean coffee pots and then rinse several times and run a few batches of water only through the coffee machines. Similar concept with Oxiclean and if I had to drink a bit of one of those products I'd sure go with Oxiclean. btw I soak my espresso machine parts in Oxiclean as well as stained coffee cups and it does the job. And then I rinse.

Cleaning products for the most part are not food safe and should be used properly and rinsed off.

I agree 100% about rinsing. There are many cleaning agents that I would not use on my fermenter even with a rinse... So, why is it generally accepted that Oxiclean is safe to use?

samc - ya, the title of the thread is a stretch. I wouldn't go adding Oxiclean to a recipe.

Thanks for your replies so far!

I guess I just don't understand why you'd use OxiClean (aside from delabeling) when there's food-safe no-rinse sanitizers out there.

lextasy23 said:
I guess I just don't understand why you'd use OxiClean (aside from delabeling) when there's food-safe no-rinse sanitizers out there.

Oxyclean is a cleaner not a sanitizer. You need both.

Oxiclean for cleaning - not sanitizing.

Oxy Clean is NOT a sanitizer. It's a cleaner. Just like Star San is NOT a cleaner. It's a sanitizer. Big difference.

Yep, like they said. Oxiclean is a cleaner. It does a great job too! I clean kegs, fermenters, carboys, tubing, etc. Then it's rinsed, rinsed, rinsed, rinsed. There are lots of cleaners I wouldn't eat- I have used "Barkeeper's Friend" on stuff before, with good results, but I don't eat it. If you rinse well, it's fine.

I don't use soap on my brewing gear, as it can leave a soapy residue taste on plastic even with rinsing. I use the generic oxiclean stuff- without the "blue crystals", or Oxiclean Free (without fragrance and stuff).

Star-san is my favorite sanitizer, but it's NOT a cleaner. You must clean the gear first, than sanitize it. It's always two separate steps, even if you use a product like One-Step. You can only sanitize something if it's clean.

That being said, I only use StarSan to clean my fermenter, carboys, bottles, siphon, hoses, hydrometer, thermometer... You get the idea.

Then you're doing it wrong..........:D Star-san is NOT a cleaner. It's a sanitizer. If you clean something you have to rinse it (to get off dust and debris), and star-san is a no-rinse sanitizer.

I use bar keepers friend too. The stuff works great. The difference between comparing cleaners like Oxiclean and Bar keepers friend is that Bar keepers friend promotes the use of its product on your cookware, where Oxiclean does not.

I use Oxiclean to clean my equipment and I also use bleach sometimes. I wouldn't drink either of them. I think the OP is confused about the difference between a no rinse sanitizer and a cleaning product.

agreed. the topic is about Oxiclean for cleaning - not sanitizing.

Thanks again.

For the record, the OP is not confused about cleaning vs. sanitizing.

FYI...

Basic Brewing Radio interviewed the manufacturer of Starsan "March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San" where he calls it a cleaner/detergent and sanitizer about 2/3s of the way through. Also good stuff in this podcast about using bleach.

Have a great weekend, and thanks for the replies.

Properly diluted StarSan makes a pretty good all purpose household cleaner. However, I would not trust it as a soaking cleaner for brewing applications (i.e. where you don't scrub the hell out of it with a brush, e.g. Better Bottles). Using StarSan in this way would also be very expensive. The combination of cleaning with a strongly alkaline cleaner and sanitizing with a strongly acidic rinse can't be beat in terms of ease, efficiency, and peace of mind.

I ferment in one of these. It holds 15 gallons Then to clean, I add 3 scoopes of oxyclean, fill with water and let it soak for a day. To rinse, i use a piece of 3/4" PVC with tiny holes drilled in attached to a hose. I put that in the bung hole and it pressure rinses. Then i add about a gallon of water, starsan, and roll it around, so it disinfects completely

gallery-2.jpg

MikeRoBrew1- thanks for those links. Thats the kind of info that I'm looking for. Apparently your google skills are better than mine. I'm suspicious of that "data sheet" though (check out the rest of that website). You can find the MSDS on the Oxiclean site.

BTW, i used Oxiclean on my linoleum floors yesterday and dang that stuff works.

Maybe that question and answer about the coffee pot isn't actually about cleaning the coffee pot. Maybe it's about putting oxiclean in the drip coffee maker? You know, like you do with vinegar to get rid of lime scale? Just a though!

Is anyone else amused by the fact that someone from Cali is scared to use oxi? I heard just opening the lid causes cancer.

My dish washing detergent isn't "food safe", but I use it to clean my dishes with. As a matter of fact it says if ingested to contact poison control. So, I don't eat oxi clean, but i do use it to thoroughly clean my fermenters and kegs.
_

So, why is it generally accepted that Oxiclean is safe to use?

Because when mixed in water it produces hydrogen peroxide (this is why it gets stains out so well) that eventually completely off-gasses and soda ash (sodium carbonate) also called washing soda. This stuff has been used for ages to aid in cleaning. No one would sell a cleaning agent that, once rinsed, would not be safe.

Maybe that question and answer about the coffee pot isn't actually about cleaning the coffee pot. Maybe it's about putting oxiclean in the drip coffee maker? You know, like you do with vinegar to get rid of lime scale? Just a though!

Right. It says "coffeemaker" not "coffee pot". I am sure they are saying no to pouring a solution in the back of the coffee maker and running it trough.

I use 2/3 oxyclean (generic) and 1/3 tsp90 and make my own pbw. Works just the same, much cheaper!

lextasy23 said:

I hope no one was suggesting that they use Oxiclean as a sanitizer. It's not.

I use Oxiclean to remove thick scum from my fermenter, blow off tubes and kegs.

Then, after multiple rinses, I use iodine to sanitize.

Back