Problems with my Volt Meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acefaser

Reaction score
Ok. So I finally got a new volt meter from the one that didn't work (or may have blown with my bad 5v DC transformer).
Anyway it is all hooked up and it won't read correct voltage. It hovers around 0v. I have it wired just like Kal does in his diagram. I have also tried to wire it to the hot and neutral bus for 120v and get the same results. Any suggestions?
Here is a video of the meter in action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much unless you can read Chinese.
2vabf5f.jpg

Do a quick test.
Disconnect the 120V from the meter and connect to a 9V battery.
If it shows 9V you have a DC meter.
Your display shows a (-) sign which makes me believe you got a DC Volt meter not an AC.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Darn the test showed it was a DC meter. That sucks, the auction said it was for an AC meter. Looks like its time to order another one.

Yup - that's why I asked.... seems many people are ordering the wrong meters or the sellers are sending the wrong ones.

Kal

Darn the test showed it was a DC meter. That sucks, the auction said it was for an AC meter. Looks like its time to order another one.

I've been down this road with China Ebay auctions. Best bet is to pay a US seller and get something that you intended to use in the first place.

You've got a picture of the meter, the seller knows what you purchased, IMHO they should sent you a replacement at no cost since they sent you the wrong one.

Kal

I think a big clue is that the back of the meter shows where to connect the DC power source with with a + and -, and then it has a place for your load, also with a + and -.

+ and - are pretty much only used for DC things, since there is no such concept with AC voltage.

Yes the back showing the + and - should have given it away, but then again it is all in Chinese and cant be read anyway. The auction listing was this:
Digital Blue LED AC 0 ~ 700V Voltage Panel Meters
I would think it was for AC.
I have contacted the seller and it even was a USA seller based in NY that I got it from. They have agreed to give my money back for the meter and still had no idea that the meter was for DC after I had explained it to them.
So if you need a meter don't buy one from bestelectronic-store

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just finished my kal clone and have run into the same problem. I bought the EXACT same volt meter most likely from the same eBay vendor (yallstore). I went back and checked my eBay account which definitely states that I purchased a 0-700volt AC meter so it was not a mistake on my end. As of now it lights up but gives gibberish readings of -12 to 12 volts and fluctuates. At this point I really don't plan on purchasing another meter as I just want the build to be done. However, I am going to contact the eBay seller and ask that they send me the correct meter even though I purchased it 11 months ago. I had to put the build on hold about 8 months due to an extensive kitchen remodel so there was no way to know the meter was incorrect unless I finished the control panel or could read Chinese.

What ended up happening with your meter acefaser?

Edit: I just saw your last post and I guess they are different vendors but the meters themselves have the exact same label on the back. I think they are simply vendors that have no idea what they are selling.

Back