Co2 levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxford brewer

Reaction score
When the Great leaders of the world (or leaders of the great world)talk about cutting Co2 emissions,how much Co2 do we homebrewers pump out?:eek: (dont really care as governments and greenies never take Mother Nature into account,i thought plant life needed Co2 and gave of oxygen).
Would be nice to to know how many collective tons we 'dump' a year:p
Perhaps greenpeace will come and liberate my yeast as living beings:D (and my keg that smells of maggots!!!!!!).

Long live common sense!!!!!!!!

Environmental concerns are based on carbon MONoxide (CO) and not carbon DIoxide (CO2).

Your beer is environmentally friendly.. don't worry. :)

-walker

Not true Walker. Carbon Dioxide is a greenhouse gas that acts as a blanket over the earth, trapping heat, or absorbing the infrared radiation that is reflected from the planets surface. Plants do indeed take in CO2 and give off oxygen and glucose when subject to UV rays (photosynthesis), but at night (no UV) the process reverses and they take in O2 and give off CO2 (respiration). Burning fossil fuels leads to CO, NOX, Sulphur, Methane, and CO2 emissions (the CO2 is trapped in the fossil fuel and is released when burnt).

Ok.. I'll buy that, but I have never heard an environmental activist talk about high levels of CO2 before. :)

I don't think the bubbles coming out of my airlock are a problem. I'm sure more CO2 comes out my lungs during the average day (and my WIFE's CO2 production from talking is way off the charts.)

-walker

California has been considering a new tax on wineries for CO2 emmissions. This is the same state that wanted to shutdown the sourdough bakeries!

C6H12O6 ====> 2(CH3CH2OH) + 2(CO2)
Sugar ====> Alcohol + Carbon dioxide gas

Mole of sugar 180 grams = 92 grams + 88 grams

8 pounds of LME ~ 16 moles of sugar producing about three pounds of CO2 and three of alcohol

Not that it matters as malt is produced from a farmed product that fixes CO2 in the starches.

HomeBrew is bio-fuel!

I think I'll have a pint.

I also have a lawn and trees at my house and several indoor plants. My house eats up more than my fair share of CO2.

For the very reasons posted above I shall now firmly say, and forever stick with the following statement/action

I PEE ON THE ENVIROMENT

Back