What size carboy for secondary and dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clavechkin

Reaction score
I have a basic kit with bucket fermenter and bottling bucket. I am planning on doing an IPA next and want to dry hop. What is the best size carboy to purchase that I can use going forward as a secondary fermenter and dry hop in?

You should be good with whatever size your batch is. Unless you're planning on putting pounds of hop leaves in there. Just watch out for head rising when you secondary. Your semi-carbonated beer will hit the hops and go bonkers. Yay nucleation points.

I dry hop in an oversize bucket; same type used for primary fermentation.

If I was going to do plain extended aging, I would want a carboy or BB that was sized so that the beer would be up in the neck, so it was less exposed to oxygen. However, that's not really compatible with dry hopping because the hops take up room and it's really annoying to get the hops through the carboy neck.

Summary:

Primary: Bucket
Secondary for aging (no dry hops): Carboy
Dry hopping: Bucket

I ferment in 6 gallon carboy and 5 gallon secondary with pelletized hops and a stopper/aerator and I've never had a problem. The only reason I have a few 5 gallon ones are because they're cheaper otherwise I use 6 gallon with a stopper

Back