Recipe for light cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irelandgarry

Reaction score
Do anyone have a recipe for a light cider my wife is in love with michelob ultra light cider said I would try to make something similar.

Buy some cider, yeast, and sugar. Let it go until the yeast is finished, piss in it, then you're ready to bottle!

Actually I have no idea how to make a "light" cider. Start with a lower gravity cider and don't add any sugar.

The marketing genius's at michelobe meant to say "dry" cider. buy some musslemans cider or even plain apple juice, some cider yeast and brown sugar. Once the fermentation has completely finished, if kegging fermenting add 1 campden tab and 1/4 tsp potassium sorbate and let sit for 12-14 hours and then add whatever sweetener you want (sugar, brown sugar, etc.). If bottling add however much sugar you want and open a bottle every day until its the carb level you want then stovetop pastuerize

I think it might be hard to replicate this style of cider exactly. I'd be willing to be that the commercial brewers of "lite" ciders don't use typical homebrew methods. Without knowing the style, they might brew a malt beverage (wine cooler) type brew and then add apple flavors to it???

You might consider just fermenting a basic apple juice and then thinning it a little with water. You could then add back in the apple flavor with some apple food flavorings and back sweeten with something that won't ferment.

Please post any experimentation you do, I'd be interested to read what you come up with.

Do anyone have a recipe for a light cider my wife is in love with michelob ultra light cider said I would try to make something similar.

A lower gravity means less alcohol\calories. Try to make a simple dry cider with an original gravity of 1.030 or less. This should come in at 4.something ABV and just a bit above 100 calories.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back