Oxidized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessPurple

Reaction score
I am not fully sure what oxidized mead looks or taste like, but one of my meads does not look like it is doing the right thing.

This mead is a vanilla oak mead. It looked very clear dark gold color and tasted pretty good at about 5 months age and was stabilized.

It is now 9 months old and was getting cloudy. I put it in the refiridgerator to try to cold crash for a day. Now it is a dark green/copper color and not clear.

I did have the mistake of too much head space. It was one of my first meads to do and did not know better at the time. It was not racked in many months and kept in a room about 65 degrees.

Any feedback appreciated.

What did you do to stablize it? What does it smell like? Is anything floating on the top? Is there any gunk bobbing around? WVMJ

Stabilized with campden and potassium sorbate according to directions for 1 gallon batch.

smells like honey and water but not a bright crisp smell. more dull honey if that makes sense.

nothing floating or gunk or anything that is not part of the mead

taste is like mead, but something seems a little off. Can't really describe it, maybe a metallic tang to it.

Back