Newbie Question: Do you ever transfer to a 3rd fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAinMN

Reaction score
I got a cornelius keg kit for x-mas and so I am in the middle of my first batch of Nut Brown Ale.

I started in a primary fermenter bucket for 8 days and then carefully siphoned to a glass carboy (leaving all the white sludge behind). It has now been in the secondary fermenter for 14 days. I noticed last night that there is probably 2 inches of junk in the bottom of the secondary fermenter. I was planning on leaving it for two more weeks before moving it to the keg.

Over time will the sediment spoil the taste of the beer? Should I transfer it one more time to a clean glass carboy?

Thanks for the advice?

CAinMN said:
Over time will the sediment spoil the taste of the beer? Should I transfer it one more time to a clean glass carboy?
You're fine in the secondary...I wouldn't rack again. Just make sure to leave the sediment behind when you transfer the beer to your keg.

I'd agree, as long as you let the secondary sit quietly. Four weeks in the secondary and some care in racking will leave the trub behind.

I'm in about the same boat right now. My first use of a secondary- it took me 7 batches to gain the patience. After 10 days in secondary, the trub is 2 inches thick. The top 1 inch looks...un-condensed? I'm hoping it all settles to 3/4 inch- I hate to waste 2 inchs of brew. But my first batchs had chunks in the bottom of their bottles....

With that low of a secondary temp, would you not risk putting an ale yeast to sleep? After I rack there is typically a tiny bit of fermentation going on. I expect that would add quite a lot of time to the secondary stage. Mind you, that's what temp all my ale secondaries are at! ;)

It's probably not a bad as it looks. The inside bottom of most carboys is domed in the middle. The outside edge will show a "moat" of settling whereas the middle will possibly half as thick.

BeeGee said:
What temperature is your secondary at? If you can get it around 50-55F it really seems to help settling the yeast.
most micros and brewpubs condition around that temp. i do it too for 7-10 days and it does help w/ clarity and flavor IMHO.

Cheyco said:
With that low of a secondary temp, would you not risk putting an ale yeast to sleep?
Really, your fermentation should be pretty much done when you go to secondary. Having said that, I typically hedge my bets by racking to secondary and leaving it in the same place for up to a week, and then moving it to the garage for some cold conditioning. You can always check your SG before moving to a colder temperature to make sure it's done.

Thanks for the advice. I currently have the secondary fermenter on our main floor - - around 70 degrees. I will move it to the basement for the next 10-12 days and then carefully siphon it to the keg. I am planning on force carbinating my first batch.

Latest posts

Back