Metal God Guitarist of all-time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
okay, who's the most ripp'n, shredd'n, loudest, fastest, biggest haired metal guitarist of all time?!?!?!:drunk:

i may have to say it's Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmstein (?). Steve Harris of Maiden get's my vote for killer bassist! :D

Well, he's not really a shredder, but none of my favorites are. James Hetfield on rythm kicks ass.

Zakk Wylde is awesome, and my favorite duo is probbably Pepper Keenan and Woody Weatherman from Corrosion of Conformity. If you want to hear some smokin' blusey lead stuff, download a song by them called "Stonebreaker." It's off their new CD. I keep meaning to pick that one up.

Overall though, I guess I'll have to say Dimebag....may he RIP.

Zakk Wylde is awesome, Damn straight. I am a die hard BLS fan. NOBODY today rips it like Zakk, but all time, Randy Rhodes wasnt to bad, Eddie V is right up there too.

Bass: Les Claypool
Git-box (Metal): Kerry King (Slayer), Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
All Around: Stevie Ray Vaughn, Trey Anastasio (Phish), Kyle Gass (Tenacious D), Joe Satriani, Michael Angelo (Nitro), Steve Vai (Mothers of Invention).

Cheesefood said:
All Around: Stevie Ray Vaughn, Trey Anastasio (Phish), Kyle Gass (Tenacious D), Joe Satriani, Michael Angelo (Nitro), Steve Vai (Mothers of Invention).

Yes, we all have our favorites, but this is a metal thread. :p

i love PRIMUS! Herb's a ginseng drummer!
i love James Heetfield, along w/ the almighty Cliff Burton (R.I.P.).....

i actually have a COC CD, America's Volume Dealer, and yes, Pantera kicked face....

i also wanted to add Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing (old school from Screaming for Vengance and before....)

DeRoux's Broux said:
okay, who's the most ripp'n, shredd'n, loudest, fastest, biggest haired metal guitarist of all time?!?!?!:drunk:
I'll have to ask my son on this one, but may I say that I thinks it's entirely appropriate that 9 posts in to this thread nobody has once mentioned the word "music". :p

Cheesefood said:

You forgot the best of the best Jimi Hendrix!!!!!!!!!!!

DeRoux's Broux said:
i actually have a COC CD, America's Volume Dealer, and yes, Pantera kicked face....

That's the CD where they tried to go "commercial". For the real deal, check out the two before it, "Deliverance," and "Wiseblood." Seems like they've gone back to their old style with their new CD, too, the name of which escapes me at the moment....

Sam75 said:
That's the CD where they tried to go "commercial". For the real deal, check out the two before it, "Deliverance," and "Wiseblood." Seems like they've gone back to their old style with their new CD, too, the name of which escapes me at the moment....

yea, some of my skater friends back in the day listened to them. that's how i got hooked on the Descendents, DRI, Misfits, etc. good stuff :cross:

DeRoux's Broux said:
yea, some of my skater friends back in the day listened to them. that's how i got hooked on the Descendents, DRI, Misfits, etc. good stuff :cross:

I still jam to Descendents (Welcome to Weinerschnitlze, may I take your order please?), Misfits (We are 138) and the like. I didn't get too into DRI except for the "In the pit" song. But this is punk we're talking about, right?

Speaking of Pantera, did anyone else dig Great Southern Trendkill? I like the fact that they hired the singer from An@l C*nt (trying to be polite here) to do back-up vocals.

ah cheesefood, 4 of a Kind and Crossover from DRI was da' bomb! maybe a little more metal than punk. i still say the ol' Descendents Weinerschnitlze thing every time i see one. :~)

missed out on the Southern Trendkill thing?

The Legacy of Brutality: brilliant. Dealing with It and Dirt Rotten lp killed!

I've been wracking my brain all day trying to decide on a metal guitarist...the dude from destruction could play. I grew up minutes from Zakk but never dug his style. Was a bigger fan of Jake E Lee. Alex Skolnick (as those who saw Trans-Siberian Ochestra can attest) can play. Tony Iommi shouldn't be overlooked (who played an amazing several minute Dirty Women solo at Ozzfest this year), nor Larry LaLonde (of possessed/primus fame). Dare I throw Yngwie 'the wifebeater' Malmsteen out there? The boys form Slayer probly jam hardest of all metal (does Kerry King count being he's blad now and isn't "long-haired"?

i had mentioned Yngwei, but your the only other to mention him.

Jake E. Lee was good. he drilled me in the head w/ a pick when i saw Ozzy on the Ultimate Sin tour. only bad thing, it was hot pink (it was the 80's though...)

ever notice how Zakk Wild's voice sounds like the guy from Gwar? coincidence?????????

flhrpi said:
You forgot the best of the best Jimi Hendrix!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes - the 'blueprint'! All others - particularly Eddie Van, Robin Trower, Satriani (all guys I like or liked) - are just students of the game. It would be interesting to see how music would have turned out had he lived until now.

Another Jimmy that, amazingly, has not been mentioned - Page!

Rhoobarb said:
Yes - the 'blueprint'! All others - particularly Eddie Van, Robin Trower, Satriani (all guys I like or liked) - are just students of the game. It would be interesting to see how music would have turned out had he lived until now.

Another Jimmy that, amazingly, has not been mentioned - Page!

Yeah, but is Page really metal? I consider him (and Hendrix) more hard rock.....

The oldest band that I consider to be metal is Sabbath, but that's just me.

to me, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Clapton, those guy's from the 60's and early
70's are the Godfather's of the metal guy's, so i don't count 'em. even Iomi....he's the Godfather of Grunge!

Sam75 said:
Yeah, but is Page really metal? I consider him (and Hendrix) more hard rock.....

The oldest band that I consider to be metal is Sabbath, but that's just me.

Oh yeah! IIRC, Zepplin was one of the first bands to be coined 'heavy metal' by the rock press at the time. Another I thought of just now - Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple)! Nobody could pull of an amphetamine induced solo like him!

dimebag.jpg

Rhoobarb said:
Another I thought of just now - Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple)! Nobody could pull of an amphetamine induced solo like him!
What about Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)...talk about amphetamine induced solos. :eek:

Dang, and to think the mod Janx ripped me for not posting a qoute pertaining to beer. Hell, here is a whole thread.......I just mentioned I was working on a recipe while watching them fry tookie.....and I got griped at....champ.:rolleyes:

PS......still voting for Zakk.....

Beermaker said:
Dang, and to think the mod Janx ripped me for not posting a qoute pertaining to beer. Hell, here is a whole thread.......I just mentioned I was working on a recipe while watching them fry tookie.....and I got griped at....champ.:rolleyes:

Janx ripped you for trying to impose your political views on this forum...that and nothing else.

Beermaker said:

janx can/could be hardcore. wish he was around for usmcrus. that would have been a hoot! being he's awol though, no worries! :D

Beermaker said:

Yes, but this is the "chit chat" forum, not one for beer. Threads do tend to go off topic (as this one is now), even in the beer forums, but political topics have always been off limits here. I realize that your comment wasn't directly political, it was one about a devisive topic, and one that goes hand-in-hand with the politics in our country these days.

Now, I don't speak for Janx, but I feel that I've been around here long enough to understand where he was coming from. You made a comment about a potentially devisive topic...one that obviously wrankled his feathers a bit, too. He was trying to remind you to stay off politics, but chose to do so regarding a subject he apparently took to heart.

Janx isn't able to be around much lately, but I can tell you that if he were, he'd be glad to exchange opinions with you. :) He's not the type of mod who would take action against you simply for your views. For that, you'd have to blatantly break the rules of the board.

So, let's not make a mountain of a molehill, huh?

Back on topic...I like Dave Mustaine for "Rust in Peace"......that CD kicks ass, mainly for his rythm work. But, that's the only CD he's on where he really pushed his limits.

Sam75 said:
Pepper and Woody:

pepperandwoody.jpg

Don't know why I'm in a mood to post pics tonight.....

Back in 92, I saw Pepper get on stage with Soundgarden at Lollapalooza 2 and cover Body Count's "Cop Killer". That was one of the cooler concerts I've been to.

ever notice how Zakk Wild's voice sounds like the guy from Gwar? coincidence?????????

I absolutely LOVE Gwar . . .but oddly enuff have never seen a show and really dont know jack about them . . .but when I can get ahold of something from Gwar to play I usuly end up screwing up a speaker or 2

Pumbaa said:
I absolutely LOVE Gwar . . .but oddly enuff have never seen a show and really dont know jack about them . . .but when I can get ahold of something from Gwar to play I usuly end up screwing up a speaker or 2

i friend of mine used to have a Gwar's Scumdogs of the Universe tour show on VHS. they were a riot! they would do some stupid sh*t during a show :D

Cheesefood said:
Back in 92, I saw Pepper get on stage with Soundgarden at Lollapalooza 2 and cover Body Count's "Cop Killer". That was one of the cooler concerts I've been to.

I saw the Lollapalooza 2 in Orlando, same line up, and it was excellent!!!

As for favorites...there isnt a "Best" as there are too many different guitarists that are mind blowing. Here are a few of my favs, in no order:

Uli Roth - Scorpions
Mathias Jabs - Scorpions
Michael Schenker - MSG
Dave Mustaine - Megadeth
Chris Poland - Megadeth
Randy Rhoads - Ozzy
Yngwie Malmsteen
Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden
Dave Murray - Iron Maiden
KK Downing - Judas Priest
Glenn Tipton - Judas Priest
Slash - GNR
Chris Oliva - Savatage
Woody Weatherman - COC
Pepper Keenan - COC

Ok guys

A talk about Metal Guitar Heroes that doesn't included Randy Rhodes is BOGUS. Metal being the key word here. He was the fastest most accurate player of his time. That being said I didn't find Ozzy that to enlightening then or now. What I do know is that the most underrated band that noone ever heard of is .............. Drivin and Cryin all those who have heard of this band give me a big HELL YEAH

Dale

dagrar said:
Ok guys

A talk about Metal Guitar Heroes that doesn't included Randy Rhodes is BOGUS. Metal being the key word here. He was the fastest most accurate player of his time. That being said I didn't find Ozzy that to enlightening then or now. What I do know is that the most underrated band that noone ever heard of is .............. Drivin and Cryin all those who have heard of this band give me a big HELL YEAH

Dale

heard of 'em, but sorry....no hell yea. :D :drunk:

i think somebody did list Randy Rhodes????:confused:

Back