This is just Off-Gassing, right? (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naga77777

Reaction score
This is my first batch (NB caribou slobber with dry yeast-- windsor i believe). It was in primary (bucket) for 3 weeks, then racked into a brand new better-bottle that still had a good bit of star-san foam in it (on purpose, after pouring out the liquid star-san).

Well, the batch had been through a LOT, including pitching too warm, cooling down to mid 60's (ferm chiller), then back to low 70's (closet) after initial fermentation died down. It was in the closet for the last 2 weeks of primary. Nare-a bubble from the airlock (i know it's not an indicator of fermentation).

I racked into the better bottle, and 1 day after racking, the star-san foam bubbles (which appear clear) were replaced by these bubbles (kinda white/creamish). And the airlock was bubbling every couple seconds (as compared to "not squat" for 2 weeks).

It's just off-gassing, right? From me rousing the yeast by racking? And/or the nutrient qualities of the star-san? *fingers crossed*

I'm planning on bottling this batch (I don't keg...yet). I will be taking 3 readings as per protocol, but I just wanted to make sure I dont need to worry about bottle bombs.

2012-07-30_21-14-23_7.jpg

2012-07-30_21-14-35_558.jpg

The readings will let you know whether its off-gassing or not. Since it just looks like bubbles, I would think the StarSan is just hanging around and soaked up the beer color.

The readings will let you know whether its off-gassing or not.

Thanks for the reply.

So, if it's just off-gassing, the readings shouldn't change, right? (since co2 is just coming outta solution doesnt necessarily mean alcohol's being produced and gravity's dropping right?)

Idk,I see some yeast krausen in the bubbles around the sides. Maybe it wasn't quite down to FG yet? Racking it could stir things up besides dissolved co2...

Idk,I see some yeast krausen in the bubbles around the sides. Maybe it wasn't quite down to FG yet? Racking it could stir things up besides dissolved co2...

thanks for the insight... in my newbie opinion it's highly possible, if not probable.

I took 2 hydrometer readings before ever taking it outta the bucket.

I screwed up as far as temp correction goes, but everything else aside, the meniscus was at 1024 one day, and 1023 two days later. So regardless of whether the gravity was actually 1024 or not, I swear it was still moving after 3 weeks :confused:

That's the reason I put it in secondary, I was scared to bottle it, and wanted to open up my bucket for my next batch.

Maybe I gave the yeasties a little kick in the rear, and they decided to finish their job? :D

Just above all, I wanted to make sure the new "bubbles" and airlock activity was nothing to worry about. Like *gasp* infection....

You & me both! Can't wait till retiree payday (tomorrow)! Gunna head for the beer cooler at Giant Eagle. They're getting quite the nice collection in there. They keep getting more craft beers since I started educating my son that is a maneger there. He talks with the guy that manages the beer section. They have chimay,other lambics,SN,Stone,...lots of eye candy.God,I haven't had a beer in a couple weeks,y'all,I'm jonesin big time! HB all gone,ordering a PM cascade ale kit in the mornin,& new heating elements for the stove so the oddessy can continue.
Aaaanyway,check the FG again on Friday to see if it's truly done. Better sure than sorry. That sure looked like krausen in them bubbles to me...

Back