Rye'd Overboard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertoole

Reaction score
The last rye beer I tried failed to have any real rye flavor to me.
Here is the same recipe that I have almost doubled my rye and I want to know if 23% of my grain bill being Rye is crazy or a little odd. I'm ok with ODD. I just don't want to mess up the batch completely.

7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 56.60 %
3.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 22.64 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 13.21 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.55 %
0.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.2 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo, Dry Hop

Any other changes please post away!

Thanks

I'm glad you asked this question beertoole. I had 12.5% in my batch last weekend, and I was worried that was a lot. Now that I see these responses I see I could have even added more. At least I know it's not too much!

And I agree with tgmartin000! Add rice hulls! My mash lauter almost got stuck. Not quite, but it was really slow. As a result, I added half a pound of rice hulls when I batch sparged, and it helped tremendously!

Thanks guys! I have an extra pound of rice hulls from last weeks Hefe we made! I will use em.

cheers!

+1 to rice hulls and have some in reserve.
I had 7lbs of Rye in my last 5.75gal batch of Roggenbier and it tastes great. LHBS made a "mistake" in weighting and I am glad they did - nice head and body and aroma, but I am a rye addict.

I've used as much as 60% rye in a beer. I love the stuff. Definitely +1 on rice hulls. Lots and lots of rice hulls. And I definitely find that rye and amarillo hops are best friends.

I wish I would have known that before buying sorachi ace for this weekend's rye saison.

never done that combo before but I'm sure it'll be tasty! sorachi ace has a nice lemon kick that I think would go good with rye and then all the saisony goodness from the yeast will probably be nice too

bwomp313 said:
I've used as much as 60% rye in a beer. I love the stuff. Definitely +1 on rice hulls. Lots and lots of rice hulls. And I definitely find that rye and amarillo hops are best friends.

Just brewed a 5.5 gallon batch of a Rye IPA using some Amarillo.

9.0# 2 row pale
1.5# rye malt
1.5# rye, flaked
0.75# crystal 60L
0.5# wheat malt
1.0 Chinook 60m
1.0 Amarillo 30m
1.0 Amarillo 20m
1.0 Amarillo 10m
14day dry hop with 1.0/1.0 Chinook and Amarillo

This was my first all grain batch, I had a 67% brew house efficiency but I really don't care, I'm super excited about this beer. Amarillo and Rye were meant for each other! Hit my numbers, should finish at a 6.3%. Perfect.

I used rice hulls in this batch, about half a pound. Didn't want to risk a stuck spare with the rye and wheat, plus it was my MLTs inaugural run. Worked great.

Cheers!

Back