Almost a Dopplebock recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdelap

Reaction score
So this weekend I am planning on tackling a double decoction mash and need a little help with the recipe:

As of right now I am planning a 10 gal batch

15lb German Pils Malt
14lb German Munich Malt
2 lb Cara-pils Malt
1.5 Chocolate malt

1.75 oz Hallertauer Hops (60 min)
1.75 oz Hallertauer Hops (30 min)
1.5 oz Hallertauer Hops (15 min)

The only catch is I don't have any way to lager this beer and looking at a few lager strains that can handle the higher temp or possible a European ale yeast

Any help or recommendations will be greatly appreciated

If your goal is to experiment with decoction and end up with a big, malty pseudo-lager, then I think the steam beer yeasts will probably be your best bet: WLP810 or WY2112

Another option with those ingredients without decoction would be to shoot for a nice Altbier. Dial down the Pils and Munich to about 9lbs. each and the Chocolate to about .5lbs., and use WLP029 or WY1007. That might be nice as well.

I was looking at the WY2112 I will have a ambient temp around 67 so with fermentation I expect to be near 71 Will this stain survive that high of a temp? what other flavors may I get at that temp?

I was looking at the WY2112 I will have a ambient temp around 67 so with fermentation I expect to be near 71 Will this stain survive that high of a temp? what other flavors may I get at that temp?

Though not optimal, it would surely survive, but may throw off some ester/alcohol notes.

Ok great!! I think I will try to run with it maybe even try making a swamp cooler to help keep it cool

Back