Batch #1 in the pint glass!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codyjp

Reaction score
After 5 long weeks I popped open batch #1, a pale ale kit from the LHBS. Its quite nice.

It could afford another week or so to carb out so I'll be patient on the rest. It also has no head at all. None! I'll work on that in the future.

I thought I had screwed it all up but I'm glad I read enough here to know not to worry about it because it did turn out afterall!

It is a nice feeling!!!! I just poured a pint yesterday from my first home brew. A little knowledge from these forums goes a long way. PROST!:ban:

Just remember that you'll see carbonation before great head sometimes. Other times,like my last couple batches,you'll get crazy head,& the much sought after "upside down snow storm" under that. So be patient.
That's a brewer's single most important attribute.

Make sure you chill the beer for about a day before popping the cap. It takes time at low temp for the CO2 to move from the headspace and be absorbed into the beer.

After 5 long weeks I popped open batch #1, a pale ale kit from the LHBS. Its quite nice.

It could afford another week or so to carb out so I'll be patient on the rest. It also has no head at all. None! I'll work on that in the future.

I thought I had screwed it all up but I'm glad I read enough here to know not to worry about it because it did turn out afterall!

After your required conditioning time, make sure your glasses are very clean. Head retention is affected by a number of things, but one you can control is how clean your glasses are. I've notice a signifcant head retention uptick once i started hand washing my glasses.

After your required conditioning time, make sure your glasses are very clean. Head retention is affected by a number of things, but one you can control is how clean your glasses are. I've notice a signifcant head retention uptick once i started hand washing my glasses.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure another week will fix my head woes. Regardless though, I'm happy it is drinkable, at points I had lost all hope!

Back