is there a way to "darken" the beer post boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
my first all grain brew. i tried to make a warstiener dunkel. the LHBS helped me concoct a recipe for it, but after putting it into the fermenter (saturday) it isn't nearly dark enough. i forget the exact recipe, but there was something like 7lbs of two row pilsner, 3.5lbs of munich, .8lbs of chocolate. it looks kind of like a hefewiesen. i know it's just cosmetic, and i'm sure it will turn out fine in taste, but i'm making the majority of this brew for some friends, and i'd like the presentation of it to be well met.

is there a way to darken the color when i rack to secondary, or when i bottle? maybe some black food coloring or something? i didn't know if anybody else has ever encountered this and found a good fix.

thanks!

brian

Maybe steep some dark grains in water and add it when you rack to secondary? Only thing is it will probably change the flavor profile.

If it's in full swing in primary, it will look quite light. It will darken when the yeast flocs out.

If I were you, I'd try to darken the next batch - after you see what this one looks like. You're begging for a royal PITA otherwise.

Cheyco Libre said:
If it's in full swing in primary, it will look quite light. It will darken when the yeast flocs out.

If I were you, I'd try to darken the next batch - after you see what this one looks like. You're begging for a royal PITA otherwise.
I agree with Cheyco. Good points.

Or at the least, get a sample with a wine thief, put it in the fridge to drop out the yeast, and have a good look. I bet with all that munich and chocolate, it is darker than you think.

What my boot-legging grandmother used for her home made "whiskey" was a burnt sugar cube. Put the sugar cube in a spoon. Rub a bit of cigarette ashes on it, otherwise it won't light. It will leave behind a pool of "carmel coloring". No need for any charred barrels in Gramma's distillery. Don't use your good spoon.

As mentioned, wait before adding anything. My Dark-N-Scary looks neither dark, nor scary when actively fermenting, but once it starts to settle - dark as night! :D

Back