Arrrrggggg! I need some keezer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I got a used 7.2 cubic foot chest freezer from a friend that works great. But it had this bad fish smell that I just couldn't wash away. I finally traced the smell down to the lid. After a quick disassembly I found that the fiberglass insulation was damp and reeked of rotten crab legs. I thought a quick bleach bath would solve my problem. I thought wrong. It pretty much disintegrated into a big blob of fiberglass. :(

So ... can you buy that super dense fiberglass? Or is there suitable substitute that can be used in it's place?

Until this fiasco, tomorrow should have been the day that my keezer was finished. All that was left to do was to drill my shank holes, mount the faucets, and hook up the beer lines. Grrrrrrrrrrrr! :mad:

The lid won't require that much insulation, just stuff in whatever will fit. Use liquid nails and a piece of 3/8 plywood, laundry board or whatever cut to fit. I have read some keezer builds here where guys used that spray insulation, coated the inside of the lid, glued their sheet in, and went on. The beauty is cold air sinks so there's really no way to mess it up. You would probably be fine with none if you wanted to be lazy, just a little less efficient.

It doesn't have to be the same exact insulation. Just get the stuff with the best R value. And try to make sure it stays dry.

I'd remove the insulation and the plastic liner too then replace it with some rigid foam insulation. The R value will likely be better than the original insulation and it would be very cheap to do.

Use canned spray foam - Play with this stuff in an old bucket first - it can get pretty out of hand. Turn the top upside down and fill it with foam. After the foam dries, cut it flush with a long saw. Then reinstall the inside cover, or replace it with plywood or leave it unfinished.

I'd remove the insulation and the plastic liner too then replace it with some rigid foam insulation. The R value will likely be better than the original insulation and it would be very cheap to do.

Yep... get the pink or blue extruded polystyrene from your local Home Dump/bLowe's...

Yep... get the pink or blue extruded polystyrene from your local Home Dump/bLowe's...

+ another for the rigid foam, then I would use some light plywood, or Masonite, or like I did luan, and attached with liquid nails...and you are good to go. Good luck.

+ another for the rigid foam, then I would use some light plywood, or Masonite, or like I did luan, and attached with liquid nails...and you are good to go. Good luck.

A better choice might be some of the fiberglass (or whatever it is) panel stuff they sell for shower walls. Some of it is made with a pattern that simulates ceramic tile. Home Depot & Lowes have it in stock. IIRC, it's relatively inexpensive. With the often damp conditions inside a freezer, something other than wood or masonite might perform better.

Back