Here's the experiment I did

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
I brewed this recipe:
6 lb light LME
1/2 lb honey malt
1/2 lb crystal 10l
1 oz cascade 60 min
1 oz Kent Goldings 2 min
coopers ale yeast

Then I did my first AG batch with the same recipe except of course I used 9 lb of rahr 2 row in place of the LME. I got really good eff (mid 70's). So, I want to taste these 2 batches to see if the AG beer will be noticeably better. Will post my taste test results. My question for now is, what style are these batches? I'm using american (cascade) and english hops (Goldgins) and english yeast (coopers) so would it be a hybrid or more a english pale ale?
I used a full 5 gal boil on both, fermenting in a bucket 2 weeks. The extract batch OG was 1.048 FG 1.011 and is bottle conditioning now (I do 3 weeks at 70 and 1 week in fridge), the AG batch (OG 1.052) is in fermenter doin fine. Thanks as always!!!

Well, it's a Georgian Pale Ale, of course :)

You're right, it's a pale ale with some American and some English characteristcs. Salud!!!

I would say you are closer definitely in the hybrid of an english pale ale and american pale ale... You have an american grain bill and english hop profile basically. I like it!

Also, you are just up the road from me... do you ever get out to the ZING brewers meetings? I have been out a couple of times.. they are cool dudes!

yes, I get to the zing meetings! Jason and those guy's are great!
OK, that's what I thought I kind of had a hybrid, more english than american. ESB? I never thought of that, interesting.
At any rate, I can't wait to taste it!

Well, It wasn't quite a week in the fridge (more like 4 hours) but I tasted 1 of the extract batch today, and I've just gotta tell ya, if the all grain version is much better than this one, I don't know if I'm gonna be able to stand it. Very nice and mild with medium hoppy flavor and a very clean dry finish. I bottled the AG batch today and I dread waiting the next 4 weeks...

Latest posts

Back