New Castle Brown Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jud

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1099
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Let you know in 20 days
Brown Ale Clone 6.6 ABV

9.0 lbs British 2-row pale ale malt
2.0 lbs 8 oz Flaked maize
1.0 lbs 5 oz Crystal malt
5.0 oz Chocolate malt
.75 oz Roasted barley
1 tsp Irish mose (15 min)
8.25 Fuggles hops (60 min)
1.25 Kent Golding hops (15 min)
Wyeast 1099 or White Labs WLP017

Mahs grain at 152 for 60 minutes. Collect 7 gallon of wort boil for 120 minutes. Ferment at 71.

This looks like a good beer but I don't know how close it will be to new castle as new castle is actually a mix of a strong ale about 6.3% like yours and a mild ale about 3.3% to average at 5% or so. The strong ale is aged a little and the mild isn't then mixed like 60/40 or something. These are rough numbers but it is something like that.

Well it came out nothing like New Castle!:confused: It was way better!!!:rockin: It was really dark, keg only lasted 1 week. Everyone that had it loved it!!! I will be making this again!

Here's one I've used a few times, it's not exact but pretty close.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Newcastle Clone
Brewer: Matt
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.49 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 13.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 96.58 %
0.13 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 1.38 %
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.38 %
0.06 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.66 %
0.45 oz Target [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.25 oz Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9.06 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 11.33 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

I get my 55 pound bag of grain this Wed. I am going to have to brew this again. My 5 gallon keg was empty in one week!!!

Hey,

I want to try this recipe, but how much hops is 8.25 and 1.25? 8.25 oz sounds a bit much, half a pound of hops during primary? 1.25 sounds right for aroma.

Please clarify.

Thanks a million. Sounds amazing!

At a 1:064 OG, and using the 1.25oz of Kent in the last 15 minutes, you’re looking at more like 1.75oz of Fuggles, NOT 8.25oz. And that’s just using the default alpha values in BeerSmith. Even at that, it’s still coming out to 34 IBU. The next question should be, what are the actual alphas of the hops you plan to use to know if these amounts are accurate. I suggest plugging the recipe into BeerSmith and see what the program tells you for hop amounts based on the alpha values of your hops.

At a 1:064 OG, and using the 1.25oz of Kent in the last 15 minutes, you’re looking at more like 1.75oz of Fuggles, NOT 8.25oz. And that’s just using the default alpha values in BeerSmith. Even at that, it’s still coming out to 34 IBU. The next question should be, what are the actual alphas of the hops you plan to use to know if these amounts are accurate. I suggest plugging the recipe into BeerSmith and see what the program tells you for hop amounts based on the alpha values of your hops.

What is the best value for the IBU for this beer? How long should I secondary ferment for? I am new to AG brewing and I have brewed the extract version of the new castle clone but I want to give the AG recipe a try.

Back