Strawberry Wine: Batch #23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
I'm venturing into the whole fruit wine arena... sort of.

Bought 15 lbs frozen, sliced strawberries at Sam's Club this afternoon. Combined with enough water (maybe 6 quarts) to make 5 gallons of must. I added a dose of pectic enzyme and campden (for a must of 5 gallons) and will pitch either lalvin 1122 or 1118 in the morning. Here's the questions:

1. Did I add enough water to extract the fruit juice from the fruit? It's not a lot of water, but certainly a lot of fruit, maybe 3.5-4 gallons of (loose) volume in my 7 gallon fermenting bucket.

2. What the hell is my SG? I have no idea as, I'm sure, no sugars were extracted from the fruit right away. What should I expect?

3. I plan to follow a daily/bi-daily regiment of punching down the fruit once the yeast has been pitched. I'm okay as long as my punch-down device is sanitized, right?

4. Do I need to add table sugar to the mix? I guess the answer depends on #2 above, I'm shooting for above 8% alcohol on this one, and have no time frame on which it needs to complete.

5. Any general advice on using this much fruit? I've never dealt with such a large fruit:fluid ratio.

Thanks for your help!
jkpq45

I'm venturing into the whole fruit wine arena... sort of.

Bought 15 lbs frozen, sliced strawberries at Sam's Club this afternoon. Combined with enough water (maybe 6 quarts) to make 5 gallons of must. I added a dose of pectic enzyme and campden (for a must of 5 gallons) and will pitch either lalvin 1122 or 1118 in the morning. Here's the questions:

1. Did I add enough water to extract the fruit juice from the fruit? It's not a lot of water, but certainly a lot of fruit, maybe 3.5-4 gallons of (loose) volume in my 7 gallon fermenting bucket.

2. What the hell is my SG? I have no idea as, I'm sure, no sugars were extracted from the fruit right away. What should I expect?

3. I plan to follow a daily/bi-daily regiment of punching down the fruit once the yeast has been pitched. I'm okay as long as my punch-down device is sanitized, right?

4. Do I need to add table sugar to the mix? I guess the answer depends on #2 above, I'm shooting for above 8% alcohol on this one, and have no time frame on which it needs to complete.

5. Any general advice on using this much fruit? I've never dealt with such a large fruit:fluid ratio.

Thanks for your help!
jkpq45

Not stalking your threads :D, but...I did a strawberry wine not too long ago, here is my recipe scaled up to 5 gallons:

15 lbs strawberries, cleaned, quartered forzen and thawed twice
1.25 lbs golden raisins, roughly chopped
5 tsp acid blend
5 tsp pectic enzyme
10 lbs brown sugar
Lalvin 71B-1122

Boil 10 quarts of water and add sugar, stir to dissolve. Add to 10 quarts of cold water and add acid blend and fruit. After it has cooled add 5 crushed campden tablets. After 12 hours add pectic enzyme. After additional 12 hours pitch yeast, cover and stir daily. After 7 days remove fruit and strain, rack to secondary over crushed campden tablets and top up to 5 gallons, fit airlock. Rack after 30 days. After 3rd racking, stabilize. Bottle when clear.

1-2. ???

3. I certainly would punch down the fruit, you don't want it to get moldy! And yes, sanitize the spoon or whatever you use.

4. It wouldn't hurt to add sugar, but you might want to do it soon I would think.

5. That amount of fruit is consistent with what I used. Based on what I did, here is what it looked like a few weeks ago:
Strawberry_Wine_002.JPG

It is pretty clear already, the yeast/sediment at the bottom looks like a lunar landscape. I'll rack at the end of the month and after another 30 days I'll bottle. Good luck, maybe some others will chime in with better advice :drunk:

That looks absolutely delicious. I'll add the golden raisins and a mix of dark brown sugar and white sugar this evening.

the only thing I would do differnt is to wait 24 hours before adding campden. the pectic enzyme work better without Sulfite. I also use organic raisins because the non organic also have a lot of sulfites added. I add my own based on what I need You have no idea what the processor has added

the only thing I would do different is to wait 24 hours before adding campden. the pectic enzyme work better without Sulfate. I also use organic raisins because the non organic also have a lot of sulfates added. I add my own based on what I need You have no idea what the processor has added
I hope that you don't mind a question about raisins--don't raisins(or any food stuffs) have to have a label if they have sulfates in them? I am gathering ingredients for a soon to brew wine and picked up just regular raisins and the ingredient label just says "raisins", should I worry about them having extra sulfates or not worry about it?

yes they list sulfate but not amount. Organic raisins dont have sulfates added and cost like 60 cents more, some where on package it will say contains sulfates if they have them. It isn't always on ingredients.If it isn't there, then it is cool

I need to remember to bring a magnifier glass when I go shopping. Am I just getting old are are the prints getting much smaller along with the package sizes?

yes they list sulfate but not amount. Organic raisins don't have sulfates added and cost like 60 cents more, some where on package it will say contains sulfates if they have them. It isn't always on ingredients.If it isn't there, then it is cool
Thanks! I just checked the box and it says 100% natural and the ingredients list is just Raisins. I lucked out for once!:D

Added 2lbs dark brown sugar and 5 cups white cane sugar (boiled) to the mix. Also 15 oz box of rough-chopped golden raisins.

Man, this 1116 doesn't appear to be fermenting very vigorously. It doesn't foam when I stir it up--might repitch this evening. I've had wines take a day or two to fire up, but this is weird.

Maybe some goferm in the next batch to be hydrated and some nutrient/energizer wouldn't hurt.

I went home over lunch and pitched a package each of 1118 and D-47. One critter WILL chew up this sugar I have prepared.

1 1/2 hours lol :)

I might not be able to keep the straw out of it for that long.

I'll probably not bottle until I believe it's properly aged. Then, I'll store it just long enough to get the corks wet before I start handing it out. Hell, it might be done by Christmas (sweet!)

I didnt like the strawberry I made but had no trouble giving it away at Barter fair. It was to sweet for me but The women loved it

I could call it "panty solvent wine!" I bet the body and sweetness will put it at dessert-wine status.

Finally got fermentation! Dunno if it was 1116, 1118, or D-47, but one of my fun fungi are chewing away. Had to punch down the fruit cap this morning to a nice whoosh of CO2 from below.

SWBMO gave me the go-ahead on a 1 gallon batch of this (pantry currently occupied with two 6.5gal carboys). I've got 3 poulds of strawberries (quartered) in the freezer, 2 lbs light brown sugar, 1/4lb golden raisins and some Lalvin 1118. Going to skip the pectic enzyme, strain the fruit pulp after the 1st racking, freeze & re-introduce at bottling. Going for a cloudy w/chunks effect. :drunk:

So, I've never made a wine, I have however made a number of beers. So, am I correct in assuming that you don't slap an airlock on it while it ferments as you would a beer?

I see it mentioned that one just needs to cover it and stir daily. And what's it mean to "punch down" the fruit? This prevents mold growth? Just basically stir it up some?

And when you strain out the fruit, is it not such a big deal to say, pour it through a strainer? Is it not such a big deal with wine getting in contact with oxygen as it is beer?

Thanks!

you can leave wine in primary with out an airlock, just covered, when you put wine into secondary you put it under airlock. Punching down means you are pushing the cap and fruit down under surface. If you dont you can get moldy fruit(not good) You seldom put fruit into secondary. Straining fruit out and will make one big mess(experience)trying to just put it though a strainer I put fruit into a paint strainer nylon mess bag and squeeze when I take it out. Reminds me I need to take out plums today. And yes we try to avoid contact with air. Itisnt a big deal early because yeast likes o2 when starting but later it will oxidize your wine. That taste bad. Did I miss anything

I actually used an airlock on my bucket primary--or you can use a towel rubber-banded to the top of the bucket. Bucket primaries are nice when you "punch down" the fruit daily, you can get the spoon in there. Punching down just means stirring it up--the fruit sticks together and forms a semi-solid, semi-dry cap on top of the must. CO2 can build up below it, and it can mold, so push it back down to keep it moist.

After the last few days, my strawberries have almost disintegrated. I'll rack tonight to glass, then rack again as soon as the pulp settles. I haven't been keeping track of SG as fermentation progresses, but I obviously have active fermentation. Pictures to follow!

Awesome guys, thanks. That makes things way more clear for me. I like the idea of putting the fruit in a bag so it's easy to strain. I can imagine straining out the fruit can be troublesome.

just racked mine to secondary last night. used pectic enzyme & the leftover "fruit" was crazy looking. a funky looking mass of grey-ish mush inside a bright red-stained nylon bag.

smelled delicious though:ban: took a little sip, pretty hot but yummy.

I racked mine again from the secondary to clear up some more, got rid of most of the fruit/yeast sludge and it has cleared substantially.

Strawberry_Wine_003.JPG

I topped it up with water and gave it a quick smell and it was very pleasant- still smelled like strawberries, I didn't taste it though :(

I had to strain the leavin's from primary--no racking that mess! I've racked it again since, it's clearing nicely.

This will be backsweetened. Mine actually turned out a bit more orange than yours, brandonjonesVW. Maybe it was a result of the campden tabs. I may cheat and add some food coloring.

I had to strain the leavin's from primary--no racking that mess! I've racked it again since, it's clearing nicely.

This will be backsweetened. Mine actually turned out a bit more orange than yours, brandonjonesVW. Maybe it was a result of the campden tabs. I may cheat and add some food coloring.

I think his will turn that orange color once it starts to clear a little more. Since I've racked mine its gotten clearer and there is still a slight, let's call it dusting, at the bottom. I think I'll bottle it at the end of this month and age it for 6+ months, but since I have all these frozen strawberries I'll make another batch.

Nice work fellas! :mug:

There's not a ton of headspace, but why not top it up now? I mean, if you're going top up anyway, why wait? I don't understand.

no real reason, just out of convenience. gotta get some more CO2 cartriges to purge the carboy at the next racking, i'll just top it up then.

jkpq45: i was surprised how red mine is. there was no red left in my strawberries after i took them out of primary, they turned to grey mush (from the pectic enzyme i assume).

i added ~4oz of clover honey for poo's & giggles, but it ate that up in just a few days & the picture shows the clarity pretty well. there's maybe 1/8" sediment in the bottom @ the moment.

pic shining flashlight through:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/GTIdr_jones/DSC02253.jpg

going to rack again in a couple days & bottle about a week later. it's extremely clear, very deep red in color. can't wait to try it :mug:

DSC02331.jpg

I haven't bottled mine, it's still throwing off some sediment. I think I will rack it into another carboy with some potassium sorbate though and degas next week. Hopefully I'll get around to bottling it in two or so weeks.

Nice red color
00836.JPG

racked for the 3rd time last night. Clarity is amazing. Added sorbate & campden. Will bottle next week sometime.

SWBMO & I tried a little I left in the siphon tubing. Absolutely amazing! Just barely hot with a great hit of strawberry & a fantastic mouthfeel. :ban:

Will most likely put a 1 Liter & 750ml bottle aside to age, 12oz bottle the rest with O2 caps. :tank:

Bottled mine last night into 2 750ml bottles, 3 12oz bottles and 1 quart jar.

DSC02445.jpg

SWBMO & I killed the quart jar last night. Amazing flavor, not overly sweet with a smooth warming sensation after a few glasses. :tank: Definitely going to make a 5 gallon batch of this.

The color is still pretty red, more of an orange red. :D

DSC02448.jpg

I started mine October 25th. For as young as it is, I have no problem drinking this. You shouldn't need to sweeten, I think it has just the right amount without being overly-sweet. :mug:

Just bottled mine today!

The smell is right on and awesome. The color is a bit orange in the glass/bottles. The mouthfeel is excellent, it's not thin like my past wines have been (thanks golden raisins, I think) but the taste is slightly bland. You get a hint of the strawberries but not a whole lot and there is no alcohol bite.

Since I was drunk when I pitched the yeast, I forgot to take an OG so I have no idea how strong this is. I think I'll try it again. Same recipe except with twice the amount of strawberries maybe.

Back