Made Up Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asphyxia

Reaction score
Alrighty, my first post here. I currently have a Iron-master Irish stout bottled, and doing it's thing, so to pass the time, I kinda made up/ had some insight from the owner of the local brew store. I wanted a Hoppy Amber ale, and this is what I ended up with. He was all out of Amber malt btw.

Beirkeller Light Liquid Malt (3.5lbs)
Beirkeller Dark Liquid Malt (3.5lbs)
Cascade Pellets .5 for 60m
Cascade Pellets .5 for 30m
Cascade Leaf 1.0 at 5 m

So, any ideas/ thoughts? I know it will be hoppy, so I will probably tone it down a tad, but I wanted a amber that was kinda bitter/crisp for warm weather.

Excuse me if it looks wrong, I an new to the brewing thing, and could have messed a weight up.

If you are brewing it to try to fit a style or copy something you have tasted, than it "might look wrong" but if you a brewing it for you to drink and enjoy you can never go wrong!!!

I'd go with light extract and steep some specialty grains for flavor/aroma. Some mid-range crystal malt along with some dark crystal to get the amber color your looking for. I'd also increase the bittering addition to 1 oz. (depending on the AA%) and move the 30 min. addition down to 20 min. to retain more hop flavor.

Let me know how the Bierkeller extract turns out. That's the only German extract out there and I may try using it someday for a German ale.

Oh, and welcome! :mug:

One thing I've learned from "experimenting," is that as long as you got enough malt for fermentation, say 5-6 Lbs per 5 gallons, you can't go wrong. Take good notes and decipher them later after the brew is ready for drinking.

What ibus do you get from this recipe?
If you don't know, plug it into the online "beer calculus" tool on hopville.com

I ask because I don't think it will be bitter enough.

MMMM... Amber Ale! Try steeping .75lb Caramel 40L and .25lb Caramel 90L in 150˚ water for 20 minutes before you boil and use light malt extract (6lb DME or 7lb LME) instead. I would do an ounce each of the Cascade pellets, too.

Back