Will Oats Increase Sweet Stout Creaminess?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
There, got it all into the heading. :D

Did my sHam Adams cream Stout a bit back and it turned out nice, just not as creamy and cappuccino-ey as the original. Thinking of adding some oats. Can I just add instant oats to the mash and will it do what I'm trying to do?

Is this an extract recipe, mini-mash, AG?? You need to mash oats, steeping won't do. Mash with an equal amount of six-row to convert the starches.

Also, if you post the recipe more people will be able to chime in.

Chris

QUICK oats, not instant. Instant oats will have ingredients that you don't want in your beer. Since it's a sweet stout, I'd try no more than 8 ounces.

BTW, John Palmer says to use "Instant".

QUOTE]

Instant oats would work great, but try finding them somewhere without added ingredients....I couldn't.....quick oats worked fine in the mash for my brown ale....and they are easy to find....good luck.

Instant oats would work great, but try finding them somewhere without added ingredients....I couldn't.....quick oats worked fine in the mash for my brown ale....and they are easy to find....good luck.

And do they add creaminess?

Oats do tend to add a "creaminess" mouth feel to the finished beer. But if creaminess is what your after, make sure you naturally carbonate. I like to keg it a few points before FG.

And do they add creaminess?

yeah, they do. I have read elsewhere on this site that if you "cook" the quick oats, or add a little water to them to get them started before you add them to your partial mash grains they work better.....but I didn't do this, and I ended up with a nice creamy mouthfeel in my brown ale.....:)

Looks like someone took a stab at the AG version.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sam-adams-cream-stout-90287/

Seems a little light on the wheat from the extract version. Someone told me the wheat will add creaminess but I can't find corroboration.

Here's what I get from BeerSmith assuming a 75% efficiency using DeathBrewer's stovetop AG method (which works a treat btw).

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 42.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
5 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        60.53 %       
1 lbs 8.0 oz  Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                 Grain        15.79 %       
1 lbs         Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)                Grain        10.53 %       
12.0 oz       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        7.89 %        
8.0 oz        Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain        5.26 %        
1.50 oz       Fuggles [4.75 %]  (60 min)                Hops         25.8 IBU      
0.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %]  (15 min)    Hops         4.5 IBU       
1 Pkgs        Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) [Starter 0 Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 9.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
45 min        Mash In            Add 11.88 qt of water at 170.5 F    158.0 F

I didn't like the way BeerSmith handled the automatic conversion so I kept the steeping grains at their original weight to keep their flavor contribution, converted the wheat malt seperately for the same reason, then tweaked the 2-row to get the gravity. BeerSmith plays with the numbers to keep the SRM but I'd rather keep the flavor right than the color!

I'll probably use my #1098 yeast again because I have it and use Black Barley since my LHBS doesn't have Roasted.

Back