CO2 Tank Question: Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_finklestein

Reaction score
I found a good deal on a new aluminum CO2 tank. The possible drawback is that it is for scuba. It is a 4.6lb tank and does not have a valve. Will this work for kegging?

If it's for SCUBA it's not a CO2 tank. You may be able to finagle a way to install a CO2 tank valve in it, but you will be hard pressed to find a vendor that will certify it and fill it.

At that size if it was used for scuba it's either an oxygen or argon tank. In either case it will be CLEARLY labeled as both can kill you!

A tank that small actually sounds like an SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus) not a SCUBA tank (self contained underwater breathing apparatus). These are used by firemen, or are at emergency stations in mechanical rooms for use during an escape of hazardous gases, etc.

Like I said, even if it were possible to adapt a CO2 service valve into that tank, it is unlikely that you would find a filling station that would fill and certify it for use as a CO2 tank.

Since when do scba or scuba tanks hold CO2?

its not a CO2 cylinder...its a gas cylinder. You'll have to swap out the connections, as its probably setup for oxygen.

I know oxygen welding tanks have reverse threads compared to CO2 welding tanks...

Latest posts

Back