Software for making schematics and control panel diagrams?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biertourist

Reaction score
What software is everyone using to create those nice looking electrical schematics and control panel layout diagrams?

Adam

When I did it for a living we used Autocad. The CAD programs are great for drawing but aren't completely intuitive on how to use. I imagine today 5 years since I last laid out a cabinet it is a bit better. I'd go with the free stuff.

The advantage of the free stuff, too, is that there are tons of tutorials on the web targeted at DIYers. AutoCAD is an incredible piece of software, but it's primary target is professionals who use it all-day-every-day.

MalFet said:
The advantage of the free stuff, too, is that there are tons of tutorials on the web targeted at DIYers. AutoCAD is an incredible piece of software, but it's primary target is professionals who use it all-day-every-day.

That's me. Staring at an 85 page schematic as we speak. I better get busy!

I use Microsoft Visio 2007... inexpensive, flexible, capable.
That's what I used too. But then again, my diagrams are not really schematics at all but more like "wiring pictograms for the electrically inept":

power.jpg

(No offence to those who are electrically inept). ;)

Kal

Speaking of being electrically inept I am just toying around with this whole electrical brewing idea and after scouring the forums for a while have come up with a potential diagram of my own. I don't know if you guys/gals have heard of the program I used but it's pretty fancy-pancy. Super high tech but still user friendly. It's called Paint and comes standard on most computers so I'd say it's a good deal....

Seriously though, I tried one of those programs and didn't feel like taking the time to figure it out so I really did use Paint when I was bored one day. Also, I really have no background in this so would this potentially work. I have some of those light switches and outlets laying around so I figured I'd just use those.

Electrical Outline without buzzer.jpg

For actual electrical schematics, NOT pictorial layouts like you often see here...

There's a program called tinyCAD, and it's completely free and has a pretty decent library of electrical components. I'd recommend it to anyone trying to design a proper schematic diagram for wiring or simply laying out a proposed system.

Here's the link to it... http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/tinycad/index.php?title=TinyCAD

Here's an example of a diagram done with tinycad

ECONOB~1.jpg

Back