Belgian Tripel Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How cold are you talking? I'm worried about this carbing in time for Thanksgiving. I have it at 68-70 degrees. I havn't had any carbing problems before, but this is my first high gravity beer.

How cold are you talking? I'm worried about this carbing in time for Thanksgiving. I have it at 68-70 degrees. I havn't had any carbing problems before, but this is my first high gravity beer.

My house was 60 during the carb period... my house is 55 now... I think I need to suck up and turn the heat on or rig something up :cross:

Just bottled on Tuesday of this week - came in with a FG of 1.010 with a very prominent banana taste/aroma. Can't wait to see how this sucker plays out.

Is Pilsner Light and Light LME the same thing?

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Yeast:
2 x WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Notes:[/QUOTE]

I could wait no longer and cracked open my first bottle today. What a great brew. Medium-light carbonation, minimal head, burnt orange color. Bananas, spice, and strong yeast yeast note in the nose. The taste confirms the yeast and banana aroma a good hint of alcohol warmth in the finish; pretty well balanced over all. I think another month will do this beer wonders (if I can wait that long). Its not as dry as I would have expected.

Definitely looking to brew this again. Probably partial mash. I may shoot for over 9% ABV on the next and look to add a little head retention.

Great recipe, Thanks!

Looks like this was your inspiration By Chrie Frey. Most of us try to give credit to the authors for the all grain recipes. Congrats for your extract version. The all grain version is excellent, especially with WL1214. Cheers...

I could wait no longer and cracked open my first bottle today. What a great brew. Medium-light carbonation, minimal head, burnt orange color. Bananas, spice, and strong yeast yeast note in the nose. The taste confirms the yeast and banana aroma a good hint of alcohol warmth in the finish; pretty well balanced over all. I think another month will do this beer wonders (if I can wait that long). Its not as dry as I would have expected.

Definitely looking to brew this again. Probably partial mash. I may shoot for over 9% ABV on the next and look to add a little head retention.

Great recipe, Thanks!

I'm experiencing the same feelings regarding my green batch right now. I'm itching to just taste what it has the potential to become. After only a week and a half since bottling, I'll let everyone know. I have no qualms yielding to my noobism desires.

:)

Once you have your water to a boil remove from heat and add all the extract and mix thoroughly to prevent any scorching on the bottom of the pot. Once all the extract dissolves return it to the the heat and bring to a boil for about 5 min before starting your hops schedule. Good Luck!

Once you have your water to a boil remove from heat and add all the extract and mix thoroughly to prevent any scorching on the bottom of the pot. Once all the extract dissolves return it to the the heat and bring to a boil for about 5 min before starting your hops schedule. Good Luck!

Or....

you can add a 1/3rd of your extract at the point IowAve states and then the remaining extract toward the end of the boil. Supposedly it removes some of the "extract twang" taste All Grain brewers complain about. I've done it that way right up until I went AG.

How much of a difference will the WLP575 make versus the WLP500 in the final flavor of the beer?

Can anyone recommend other possible substitutes?
Thanks

Brewed 10 Gallons according to original post. I aged it for 2 months. I kegged 5 gallons, and bottled 5. For Thanksgiving the 13 people at my house drank the entire 5 gallons I put on tap!!! Male and Female alike.

Was told this was by far the best of the 30 or so batches of beer I've made

Thanks for the amazing recipe!! About to go to LHMBS and get more ingredients to make more.

What, no love for a noob?
Seriously though, can anyone comment on the yeast substitution or suggest an alternate?

What, no love for a noob?
Seriously though, can anyone comment on the yeast substitution or suggest an alternate?

I couldn't really recommend it, why mess with something thats perfect? PS I'm making an all grain batch right now! :):ban:

I couldn't really recommend it, why mess with something thats perfect? PS I'm making an all grain batch right now! :):ban:

Well LHBS only has the WLP575, they don't have the WLP500. That's why I was thinking of trying it. I was hoping to make this Friday and doing a starter, so that doesn't leave a lot of time for internet ordering.

Is there another strain that might work?

Sounds like people have been enjoying the AG version too, bet it comes out great!

Edit: Looks like Sudbuster had good luck with WL1214, maybe I'll try some of that.

Brewed 10 Gallons according to original post. I aged it for 2 months. I kegged 5 gallons, and bottled 5. For Thanksgiving the 13 people at my house drank the entire 5 gallons I put on tap!!! Male and Female alike.

Was told this was by far the best of the 30 or so batches of beer I've made

Thanks for the amazing recipe!! About to go to LHMBS and get more ingredients to make more.

Wow, 5 gallons of an 8-9% beer drank by 13 people? That must have been one heck of a party.

Mine's been in the primary for about two weeks and still has a very strong alcohol smell. That's okay right? I'm not worried about it being ready anytime soon, I just want to know that it will turn out all right. It smelled fantastic during the initial fermentation.

I'm experiencing the same feelings regarding my green batch right now. I'm itching to just taste what it has the potential to become. After only a week and a half since bottling, I'll let everyone know. I have no qualms yielding to my noobism desires.

:)

Well, I tasted my very green batch - undercarbonated, but definitely strong in taste. I ended up enjoying it by sipping - much like a port wine or the like.

I'm hoping that my bottles get fully carbed for a club party this coming Saturday. If not, I've got others on tap, no big deal.

Brewed this in the stronger version (a quad in reality at OG 1.097) Nov 28. Fermenting at low temp ~ 62 F first 4 days, gradual temp increase to 70 after for rest of week, 2nd week in primary shooting for 75 F. I followed the revised hops schedule (1.8, .4, .8), cut back on the dark Belgian candy sugar (1 lb) increased DME to meet the difference. Used WLP500 strain with starter. Note that my fermentation did not seem as energized as other fermentations noted on this thread. Steeped 8 oz flaked wheat to increase head retention with 4 oz light crystal malt. plan to move it to secondary after 2 weeks primary and age for 1.5 to 2 months secondary.

I hit 22.5 brix (1.095og) myself last week with 15lbs of Belgian Pislner Two Row, 2lbs of German Munich malt and 2lbs of candy sugar for a 75% efficiency (not bad if you consider the amount of grain and extracting about 6 gallons). and some WLP500 from a previous batch... smelling pretty good and fermenting violently. I think I'm going to redo the post to include all grain also, I have a nice all grain schedule. I have been playing with it til I make the final post.

Can somebody post a pic of their trippel poured into a glass? I just brewed this all grain (only my 2nd all grain) I got a OG of 1.096 and the yeast I swear is about to walk out of the fermenter and choke me its going so hard and fast! :ban: This is def the wrong hobby for someone impatient like me!

29403_393925518735_744083735_4129676_3964346_n.jpg

Actually, that glass you reference to is a proper glass for some belgians. When I was in the Netherlands last year, they would serve a very similar glass with the belgian tripel that I ordered. And they were very particulate to severing the right glasses for the right beer.

Actually, that glass you reference to is a proper glass for some belgians. When I was in the Netherlands last year, they would serve a very similar glass with the belgian tripel that I ordered. And they were very particulate to severing the right glasses for the right beer.

I don't think he was saying the "style" or "shape" of glass is what you shouldn't use...I think he was referring to the evil corporate conglomerate pasted to its side. Hence the sarcastic smiley face at the end of the post.

LOL, yeah man. I'm pretty familiar with the proper glassware for styles of beer. I was jokingly referring to the BUDWEISER logo on the glass. :drunk:

Ha, you like it? I have a few of them with PBR and a few other old beers. Bought them off ebay, had to have them! lol

Ha, you like it? I have a few of them with PBR and a few other old beers. Bought them off ebay, had to have them! lol

For some reason the PBR logo doesn't make me cringe like the Bud one. PBR is like the cool kid of crap beer. :mug:

Okay, so I waited a little longer, tried this one again yesterday. Holy Bananas, Batman!

Slightly spicy with a subtle hint of cloves, the bananas/esters definitely are the forefront of this Belgian's flavor. While I still think this beer is a little green, it was definitely good to taste the final product.

I'm wondering how a small addition of star anise would affect the flavor...

Gave my buddy a 12oz bottle of this, and although early - I told him to wait at least until 2011 to drink it - he text me this: "The tripel is awesome! It's the best beer I've had of yours so far." This is after 20 beers or so since I started about a year ago in January.

I'm still new to this so I was wondering what the boil size was or if it was just six gallons

The batch size assumes what it will come out to around 6 gallons after boil. So take into account that you may have to use 7 gallons at the start to hit the 1.089 OG... This really isn't a beginner recipe. but i recommend that you use calculators like this and others for boilout calcs http://www.brewersfriend.com/extract-ogfg/

I brewed this 16 days ago, I have been a little busy, so unfortunately I racked it to the secondary two days late, I took an intermediate reading and it is 1.010 with an OG at 1.080 and i poured myself a glass of it to check it out and it the alcohol is very prevelant, it is not nearly as sweet as a tripel should be, I was wondering if this is normal or is there something I should do to make it sweeter?

Back