I need a pizza dough recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3-4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablesoones olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
Dissolve yeast in water with sugar and allow to proof. Mix 2 cups flour, oil, and salt in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in additional flour until the dough begins to form a ball and becomes easy to handle. Place the dough on a lightly floured pastry cloth and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic (8—10 minutes).* Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it and let it rise in a warm spot until dough doubles in size (approx. 1 hour). Punch down dough and knead it again. Allow to rise 20—30 minutes. Roll the dough into a circle, forming a 1/4 inch rim around the edges. Bake with toppings on your preheated pizza stone that has been sprinkled with cornmeal at a minimum of 450 deg. F until crust is golden brown.

1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3-4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablesoones olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
Dissolve yeast in water with sugar and allow to proof. Mix 2 cups flour, oil, and salt in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in additional flour until the dough begins to form a ball and becomes easy to handle. Place the dough on a lightly floured pastry cloth and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic (8—10 minutes).* Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it and let it rise in a warm spot until dough doubles in size (approx. 1 hour). Punch down dough and knead it again. Allow to rise 20—30 minutes. Roll the dough into a circle, forming a 1/4 inch rim around the edges. Bake with toppings on your preheated pizza stone that has been sprinkled with cornmeal at a minimum of 450 deg. F until crust is golden brown.

That's pretty much the same recipe I use, except I put the dough into a zip top bag after the first rise and toss in the fridge over night. Take the dough out of the fridge about a half hour before you want to make the pizza and then roll out, top, and bake. This method gives you a chewier crust. :)

Here's what I use:

1 C warm (100-110°) water
1 T white sugar
1-1/2 tsp instant yeast
3 T olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
2-1/2 cups bread flour

Mix sugar, yeast, flour, and salt. While mixing add water and olive oil. Note: this skips proofing. If you're unsure about the viability of your yeast, proof by adding yeast to warm water and watch for foam to form.

When dough begins to form, turn out to a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes (or knead with a mixer dough hook for 6-7 minutes). Tear off a small piece, about the size of a golf ball, and make a small disk. Stretch the inside while working---if you can see light through a thin membrane, you're good. If it tears before you can create a membrane, knead more.

Let dough rise on counter for one hour; alternately, place dough ball in oiled bag and let rise in fridge overnight.
I really like the bread dough in this, creates a nice structure and is nice n' chewy. :)

Here ya go:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html

Try, if at all possible, to get bread flour. It will really produce a nice chewy crust.

Here is what I get for a middle of the road 14" pizza pie:

Flour (100%): 277.69 g | 9.8 oz | 0.61 lbs
Water (55%): 152.73 g | 5.39 oz | 0.34 lbs
IDY (.3%): 0.83 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.28 tsp | 0.09 tbsp
Salt (2%): 5.55 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.16 tsp | 0.39 tbsp
Oil (1.5%): 4.17 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.93 tsp | 0.31 tbsp
Sugar (1.5%): 4.17 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.04 tsp | 0.35 tbsp
Total (160.3%): 445.14 g | 15.7 oz | 0.98 lbs | TF = 0.102

I highly recommend cold proofing as Dragontail says... not only does it effect the texture, it will develop a flavor that is unattainable by warm proofing.

And there is no need to proof instant yeast. It would be akin to making a starter for dry yeast in brewing. Just add it in, preferably with the dry ingredients.

1.25 cups AP flour
.75 tsp kosher salt
.25 oz instant yeast or .3 oz active dry yeast
.5 cup warm water

This is the most simple recipe I use, but it needs to be cold proofed. I vary the salt levels by intended toppings. This is a very indistinct crust... best with fresh, strong flavored toppings. Perfect in a wood oven.

FireBrewers recipe, cold proofed, is what most people look for these days.

1 1/3 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast (2.25 tsps)
3.5 cups flour
2 tablespoon olive oil
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon sugar

mix by hand (or with dough hook)
Kneed for 10 minutes (or with dough hook)
cover with oiled clingfoam, and let rise for 1 hr or until double in size.
should make 2 pizza's.
Good idea to get some cornmeal to kneed the dough in after it has risen, lends a good flavor to the crust, and can also be used to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
Cook at 475 for 10-15 min.

I think it tastes much better if you let it proof in a refrigerator overnight, but if you're in a hurry you can just let it rise for an hour or two, punch it down, then let it rise again.

Now you've got me making pizza!! I am using the recipe I posted above basically (doubled):

2afdg1u.jpg

14nn3pv.jpg

abphnb.jpg

2z70mrp.jpg

I wish I had time to cold proof, but unfortunately I was very lazy last night and didn't do it. I typically try to cold proof the dough whenever possible.

wife and i like using cressiant rolls for thin crust. just roll the cressiant rolls out flat and lay them side to side and add your toppings. :mug:

I like Reinheitsgebot pizza: flour, water, salt, yeast. Cold fermented, as others have pointed out - preferably with a sourdough culture.

I have a killer recipe that I make with Rogue Dead Guy Ale. I'll post it up after work.

I use a different approach, skip the sugar and use a basic flatbread dough. Warm water in a bowl, sprinkle yeast on top to rehydrate for 5 min or so, mix in flour bit by bit to a slightly thicker pancake dough consistency, and beat for 2 min with a wooden spoon to develop the gluten. Allow this sponge to ferment for 30 min to 2 hours, and then sprinkle salt over the top along with a glug of olive oil. Work in flour to achieve a soft dough, when too thick to stir, switch to kneading until smooth and no longer sticky. Rub with olive oil, and rise, covered in a warm place until doubled. Cold proof is good if you have time, but I frequently roll/toss it after the first rise with great results. I never measure, just go by feel or texture, but about half the flour into the sponge at the start, and add half a tsp salt per 1 1/2 cups flour in the sponge. I like half whole wheat and half white, with all the whole wheat flour in the sponge.

Here's my recipe, tailor it to suit your taste.

8 ounces 140˚F Dead Guy Ale (or another malty beer, don't go hoppy)
1.5 cups Bread Flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon italian herbs
2 tablespoons cheese (yes, in the crust)
1 packet of grocery store active dry yeast

cook at 550˚F on a preheated pizza stone, 4 minutes for crust then an additional 4-5 minutes for toppings

No yeast in that dough? ^^^^

I love me some pie. I used to use a stone but got tired of having the oven on for an hour or so while the stone heats up. I now use a screen (as seen in the picture.) I don't get the same results of course but it uses less energy and allows me to cook the pie when I want, not wait for the stone to heat up.

Cooked.jpg

No yeast in that dough? ^^^^

I have the recipe written down for my use, and I know I use a packet of dry yeast, which is why it wasn't in the recipe. I edited the recipe though, thanks for pointing that out

Back